Trolling motor swapout

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by 45CATFISH, May 27, 2008.

1. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    I HAVE A 40LB THRUST FOOT CONTROL MINNKOTA EDGE 12 VOLT.I WANT TO GET A LARGER MOTOR WITH HAND CONTROL.MY BATTERY IS LOCATED IN THE REAR OF THE BOAT.DO YOU THINK THE WIRING THAT RUNS FROM THE FRONT TO THE BACK IS LARGE ENOUGHTO GO FROM 12V TO 24V.THE 40LB THRUST IS ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD BUT I WOULD RATHER A HAND CONTROL.ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.THANK'S IN ADVANCE!!!

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What size wire, length of boat?What size wire is recommended?

3. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    THE BOAT IS A 18 FOOT X 60IN LAKE SPORT CENTER CONSOLE.I AM NOT GOOD AT JUDGING GAUGES OF WIRE.IT IS WHAT THE MANUFACTURER INSTALLED ORIGINALLY.AS I SAID IT IS ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD.I DON'T HAVE ANY SPECKS ON A 24V SYSTEM.I WAS JUST CONSIDERING MY OPTIONS WHEN I START LOOKING FOR A NEW ONE.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'm no electrical engineer, but isn't wire size more a function of the amount of amperage the wire must carry? Usually when you up the voltage, the aperage draw drops (unless you go a whole lot bigger on the trolling motor). I was under the impression thats why your bigger trolling motors are 24v in the first place. I mean, i do realize that too small a wire will cause some voltage drop on a 12v system, but if it was big enough to run the trolling motor in the fisrt place it should work for 24v as long as the new trolling motor doesn't draw more amps.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Most wire has the size printed on the wires insulation.The trolling motor manufacture will gladly give you wiring specs for their motors.The bigger the wire,the better.Long Jumper Cables have always made excellent trolling motor cables to get the battery weight to the opposite end of the boat.They are readily found and often on sale.The ends are easy to change out for a custom fit or just insulate with electrical tape or "Scotch Cote" liquid electrical insulation.The liquid is also great for cushioning the edges or rub points on rod holders.Surface must be clean!

PVC pipe often makes great conduit to protect wiring from hooks and such if you have to re wire.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    DC will suffer voltage drop over a very short span as compared to AC voltage.
    for instance.
    At 12 VDC #6 is good for 50 Amps up to 13 feet in length.
    From 14-22 feet it would require a #4.
    The question isnt if its big enough to run the motor. You can run the motor off a lamp cord.
    What you are after is two things. Optimizing the life of the componets from the motor to the batteries and safety. Undersized wire leads to failure and fire.

Most of your decent to good bass rigs come with a #4 or#6 installed for a bow mount.