trolling motor shaft replacement

Discussion in 'Boating' started by roadkill636, Mar 28, 2009.

1. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    has anyone ever had a motorguide shaft apart from thecontrol head and the motor housing? Im looking at one for sale on another site and the shaft is way too short,and Im thinking I can get a longer shaft for it, how exactly is the shaft connected to the motor, and the control head? to be cheap I wonder if I can just use 3/4" or 1" pipe

2. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    I did one on a hand control one once , it just used a bolt and nut , I turned the head around so I could use it on the front of the boat , it was real easy to do .

3. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    this one Im talking about needs a whole NEW shaft, how does it attatch to the motor housing?

4. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    looked at the book for my minnkota and the shaft screws into the motor housing and a bolt and nut at the top end . looks like getting all the wires in and out of the shaft would be the hard part .

5. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I had the same thing with an old motor guide I owned along time ago. As I remember the control head was riveted on and the motor end was pressed through and had a roll pin in it. If you can't get it apart, you could cut it in the middle. sleeve it with another tube that would fit inside or outside to extend it and weld it up. You will have to extend the wiring also.