Trolling Motor Recommendation

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Mudbug007, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Looking to buy a new Minn Kota trolling motor for my 2072. Currently it has an old beat up 54lb thrust Motorguide.

I'm looking at either an 80lb thrust Maxxum tiller model or the Terrova Auto Pilot model.

I do a lot of Crappie and Catfishing. Crappie fishing consist of slow trolling rip raps and dunking standing timber. Some spider rigging but not much.

Catfishing is either anchored up rod & reel fishing or jug fishing (floating, not anchored).

I'm leaning toward the tiller model, but hear a lot of good things (ease of use, etc) about the Terrova.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the two?

Don

2. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Since you do trolling and spider rigging some, I would recommend the autopilot. I have the Minn Kota Riptide ST 55 Saltwater Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with AutoPilot on my boat and it's great for that. You just set the speed and direction and forget it until the end of your run. I don't know how I ever did without mine. A wind sock works great along with it to keep you in line and slow your drift. I've used it in pretty swift current and it controlled a lot better than I ever expected it to in those kind of conditions. I ran it all afternoon in that type of conditions and went to re-charge it that evening. It still had a 58% charge left in it. The digital system really saves on the juice.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010

3. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I have an Auto Pilot Trolling motor and that thing is GREAT, you can set in the direction you want to and if the wind blows if you are retieing a rig or whatever you are doing that is the way it is going not around and aound in circles as soon as the wind hits you or as soon as you turn your head. If you get one go ahead and spend the money to get the co-pilot, you can be at the transom of the boat landing a fish and operating your trolling all at the time, well worth the extra.

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i think they even have a remote that you can clip to your pole and steer right from your rod. i cant wait to have the auto pilot

5. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    I got the minnkota powerdrive v2 auto pilot and universal sonar 2 , and its great for slow trolling for crappie . If your going to do a lot of trolling its great , if you do a lot of bass fishing up on the front deck the electric steering is a little slow , the maxumms cable steer is a lot faster for the quick responce you need . I just got the new basspro catalog and minn kota has a new " i Pilot " wireless GPS trolling system. it installs on top of the motor head , comes with a remote . If I was looking for a new TM I would look at them real close , the look pretty neat .
    Terrova 80/us2-60" w/ i-pilot (includes foot pedal) $1379.99
    basspro you pay shiping , Cabelas's free shiping on trolling motors:wink:

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I've got the 70# thrust Powerdrive Autopilot / Copilot on my pontoon. We have two remotes that can be worn on you wrist like a watch, so you can control it from anywhere. I've never had to test it, but its a neat safety feature too. If you fall overboard, you can bring the boat back to you instead of swimming for it.
    The Autopilot is ideal for controlled drifting, and like has been said, it perfect for keeping you on course while you're busy.
    Mine is an 05 model, so they are probably more advanced now than what I have. I give the MinnKota 2 thumbs up.

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I am thinking of getting an upgrade to my "up front" trolling motor.. the one that I have on my NorthRiver boat is ok on a lake without wind blowing... so I'm going to check things out.....

Going to go to our local "Trolling Motor Doctor" and check out what he can do...

Tight Lines From Los Angles at the beach

8. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Go with the Minn Kota. Try a remote control bow mount unit I prefer the Riptide Series because you can use them in fresh-salt or brakish waters.:big_smile: LDJ:wink::wink:

9. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is one nice looking set-up Ray! Bet she's smooth running.

10. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's why I went with the Riptide series. I'm headed to Florida next month and hope to put it to good use down there.

11. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Terrova gets my vote. You will find the tiller gets to be a bit of a pain when your fishing for crappie or other panfish. I had the remote control on the front of my bass boat and really loved it be anywhers in the boat and control it. Tiller is fine if your going to sit in the rear all the time or in the bow all the time and dont mind making corrections with your hand. Me I rather do it with my foot or a auto pilot and just fish.

12. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks guys.

I'll take a longer, harder look at the auto pilot. I was worried about the durability of these units, but it looks like some of you have had them for a few years.

I have to admit, not having to fumble with a bow mount tiller model is appealing!

13. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have a SeaArk 2072. I put a MinnKota 70# Maxxum on the front. I didn't really think I needed so much thrust, but I wanted the variable speed, which the smaller thrust motors don't offer. Plus, I still bass fish....:embarassed:....yes bass......but ONLY up in Canada during the summer and needed the bigger thrust TM for up there. (you won't ever see me around here throwing a bass plug......except maybe throwing it away...:smile2::tounge_out:)
    I really just use my TM to get into shallow water on low speed, to chase shad around, or to keep my boat straight while drifting.
    Hope you go with MinnKota.

14. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also take a look at the new iPilot that minn kota has. It should be sweet. You are supposed to be able to set a course and have the trolling motor automatically follow it and you can set speeds. You can drive a course and have the motor memorize it and drive it again on its own. You can set a waypoint and have it go there automatically. It has a more advanced "autopilot" feature that I think uses GPS instead of a compass. There is a anchor setting that will use the trolling motor to keep you in one place. I believe you can add this on to certain existing trolling motors I think the powerdrive V2 is one of them. I plan on getting this next year it should really help with drift fishing.

15. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I just took a mixer and attached it to a mop handle. I sealed the mixer with epoxy so I can submerse it. And then attached two mixer blades (modified). It does a good job on the lake. Probably not on the river in current, but does well on the lake.

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are serious, pleas post pictures lol I would have to see that.

17. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    After taking a rather long look at the iPilot, I think that is the way I'm going to go. I fish a lot by myself and the thought of the boat staying in a straight line while I'm at the back of the boat thrills me :Happy:

The remote looks pretty sweet. I can now point my boat at a distant jug and let 'er go while I'm putting the big cat from the last jug in the livewell and prepping another jug to hit the water! What more could you ask for?