Trolling motor question for 20' jon

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by TNVOLCAT, Nov 7, 2007.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My Dad and I have a 2072 Tracker Grizzley jon boat w/ 90hp Merc. The boat came with 40 lb. thrust trolling motor and just ain't getting the job done. I figure we at least need a 70 lb. thrust, but will prob. get an 80 lb. thrust or even larger to use for controlled drift fishing. Any of you with a 20' jon or heavy V bottom boat please let me know what lb. thrust trolling motor you're running. Thanks! TNVOLCAT

2. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I have a 20ft SeaArk with an 80# thrust motor and it seems to work fine as far as power is concerned. My wish list is it had: 18ft length of control cable, complete variable speed, and an auto pilot. I feel these are needed to drift fish idealy on a lake. Why? Checking fish finder, baiting rods, wind blowing or not, controling drift speed and direction.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i only have an 18' john boat, but, it has a 54#thrust minn kota. i too would like a lil more power. the solution to the cables is pretty easy really. i shortened mine so they wouldnt get in my way on the bow while giggin flounder. all you need is some matching gauge wire, a fewe wire nuts and some e. tape. make them as long as you want. but remember the more cord, the more boat space used.

4. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a 70# on a 24' jon with a cabin and even in a wind it does very well,
    I would not want one any bigger but I guess that you can't have one that is to big.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have a 20ft war-eagle and a 65lb auto pilot M/K its good. But if I ever have to replace it. The next one will be a 80 lb. Also the 65 even does good at Pickwick dam in the current. But still a 80 would allow me to run back up, When I get hung up.
    Pete

6. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I have a 2072 SeaArk with a 55lb Minn Kota and will be upgrading to a 70lb soon. The 55lb will do the job but is the bare minimum in my opinion.

7. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We've decided to go with a Minnkota 80 lb. hand control. This one should do the job!