Trolling Motor Purchase

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Creek6, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I'm contemplating the purchase of a bowmount trolling motor for my 20' Lund Alaskan. I would appreciate comments on

1. Motorguide vs Minn Kota
    2. Thrust to ensure adequate performance
    3. Control options: Tiller vs foot vs remote
    4. Battery / Installati

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have a Minn Kota, and to be honest I don't know anyone who has a Motorguide except some pro bass fishermen that I have worked with on fishing shows...and theirs were free!!! I actually have two Minn Kota's, one on my pontoon and one on my center console and both are pedal controlled.

One nice attachment that some friends have is the Co-Pilot. It allows you to use a remote control that you wear on your wrist or you can attach it to a fishing rod. At first I thought it was overkill, but when you are by yourself and battling a big fish and trying to get a net, then getting your foot on the trolling motor pedal is the last thing you need to wrangle. I plan to add one to my center console at some point.

My pontoon is 55 pounds and the one on my CC is 45. Either one gives me about 1/2 mph at setting #3 or #4 and this is where I like to troll. All the way up at setting #10 I can get about 2 mph.

I run mine on a totally separate battery than my other electronics. I have three batteries; one cranking battery for motor only, one for the lights, radio, depthfinder, etc., and a another for the trolling motor. It is just a nice level of comfort so that you don't have to worry about something dieing. If money is tight you can get by with two.