Trolling motor prop problem

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Localhero813, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had problems with breaking my trolling motor prop on the rocks and other things on the bottom of the lake near the bank.:angry:

the motor is my main motor for my jon boat as of right now. i was wondering if threr would be a way to make a sheild to protect it. i have seen the plastic ones used to block weeds and that is kinda what i am looking for but metal. i am very handy with making things so shoot all of your suggestions at me

Attached Files:

2. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    2222222222222222222222222222222:wink:

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had one like your picture.It was useless for weeds and lily pads as they stuck to the outside and starved the prop.Don;t know about rocks as all of ours are imported (for real).We just have sand,mud and weeds unless you are at the site of imported rocks like rip rap.A break a way or giving type mount works best on our logs.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I got me a rubber blade that is on a slip clutch deal. End of problems!!

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Macks river runner prop guard, it is nothing more than a 1" wide steel strap bent into a circle to cover the blades, get the strapping at a farm store (rural king, Big R, etc.) bend ya one and attach it to the shaft with a clamp works well

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
  7. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    the only problem is it is for my trolling motor,and it dosent have a cavitation plate to attach it to .

the last blade i broke, belive it or not, was on the carcas of a catfish.

i took that carcas and burned the 30 bucks out of it!!!!!:angry:

8. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    yea there is alot of sand and mud but i just dont wasnt to spend another 30 bucks on a prop:cool2:

9. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont know what kind of boat you have but trolling motor shafts are a few sizes fits all situation.
    The biggest problem I see on jonboats is how deep they have the motor set.
    They set the motor to the depth to where the tiller handle is in the perfect position for them.

Submerge the motor just enough to keep the blade from thrashing when under power. Not tilt the motor. Raise the shaft straight up.
    If that puts your tiller handle up too high you can cut those shafts down.
    I've cut a many a one down.
    If you are still hitting rocks with the motor at that height the only feasible solution is a paddle.
    Trolling motors arent bulldozers. If you would be wary of running your 6000 dollar gas engine there I'd be wary of running a trolling motor there as well.
    Rocks will tear up both motors.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    WOW! I don't know what type of prop you are using but man, I have snapped a few shear pins in my time but I can not say I have ever broken a prop, your motor don't have a shear pin in it? would be alot cheaper than a prop all the time...... And if it has a pin the it is quit obvious that the pin is way to hard or it should shear off before snapping a prop. Good Luck,

12. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    no ity didnt break the pin. it just broke one of the plastic blades off. it really ruined the rest of my summer break. the prop was really hard to find!!!

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    sorry to hear that, what kind of motor do you have?, if I may ask?

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I always used a brass "gas welding" rod to make my shear pins out of.They gave first on the stumps and logs.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

15. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    its a minn kota 65w( weedless)5 speed f and r i fassined a BOLT ON TO the skeg . the bolt is about six inches below the prop and is a 1 inch bolt so mabye the bolt will protect the prop?:big_smile: