Trolling motor problem

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by rcneman, Oct 22, 2006.

1. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    took the boat out yesterday and my trolling motor won't fire up. It worked fine the last time i had it on the water about 2 weeks ago.

The battery is good, i run the fishfinder off the same battery and the finder says the battery is running at around 12.8 volts. Main motor and other accessories on a different battery.

I always do a trickle charge on the battery after each fishin trip.

My thoughts are the foot pedal. I inspected it a bit and there are a few switches/relays that are used. Looks like the speed dial may be some type of potentiometer, not sure.

I have to pull the front panel on the boat to access the wiring/connection to the power plug and that will be my next step, before messing with the foot pedal. I guess it would be better to say i'm gonna do a continuity test from the battery to the main plug at the front of the boat then press on.

anyways...any one had a foot pedal issue?

thanks
    rc

2. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    got it fixed, must get back on the water soon

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Glad you got it fixed.

I had a lot of problem with the foot switch. The rubber would wear through on the micro switch. (see picture) This allowed too much clearance between the pad and the switch. They sent me new switches 3 times but they would only last a short time. So about 2 years ago I made a shim of hard plastic to go between the pad and the switch. Problem curred! Of course the switch is not water proof but that has been no problem for it's mounted inside the foot control housing.

Attached Files: