Trolling Motor on a Canoe

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Water Wolf, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    So, I have a 30 lb thrust Minn Kota that I am planning on using for a canoe. Does anyone have any idea how long I can run it with a standard marine battery. Keep in mind there will not be any charging mechanism. I will have to charge it later at home.

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I run an older foot control trolling motor on a canoe, I drilled and bolted it to the front mount and have a marine battery in a power station battery box. Works out very well for those small ponds and will run all morning.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    There are a lot of variables here. How many Amp hours is the battery? Will you be running it wide open a lot, or just putting it on the first setting (and of course that will also depend on wind and tide conditions). It will also depend on how old your trolling motor is, cause the new ones seem to be more efficient. They will usually run pretty long, but like i said, lots of variables here.

4. wcgordy

wcgordy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a 30# motorguide on my 12' jonboat. I have a deepcycle marine battery and can use it all day (if the wind isn't blowing 30 MPH!) I then just recharge the battery using a black and decker recharger. It really depends on how much you run the motor.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have run trolling motors,1 1/2 and 2 hp.outboards on regular and square stern canoes in lakes,creeks,rivers and protected salt tide water on the protected side of barrier islands from the early 50's as I had a 1 1/2hp.Evenrude Ranger that I first ran with my father when I was a small child.Later on the modern electric trolling motors.I still have one of the earliest Min-Kota trolling motors made stored if it has not mysteriously disappeared.(NO!NO!NO and NO!.It is not for sale and will not be discussed in any manner as this has led to a attempt to steal it!).

How long gas or electric motors will run is up to all of the variables already mentioned in the previous posts.A answer based on Bull Manure,guessing and lies will just cause you anguish.Unless someone has your exact setup and conditions,it will be a guess.Even then,you will find that yours will change with conditions.

A good idea with any vessel with one motor is to go upstream from take out when ever possible.I am almost 63.We went with the tide and oars to Fish,Crab,Oyster and Clam.Huge commercial skiffs heavily loaded with tons of sea food,produce and products moved with such back then.Tons of fish at times moved on our lakes and rivers by wind,current and manpower.Think ahead and learn your combo and EFFICIENT speeds and the way you want to use it such as load or lack of.Trolling,cruising,traveling fast to get there or out of a approaching storm.

There is no real answer as it is a constant variable,changeable with the wind as just one.It was this way for over 50 years for me.Think ahead and you will do fine.Don't think ahead or let your Beer do your thinking and you will be stranded.

Chargers and batteries make a lot of difference.I had a good expensive Sears charger with all of the modern X-tras of the mid 80's to charge my special "excellent rated" trolling motor batteries.I bought a good charger from Wal-Mart in the 90's to use with my old one to charge two batteries at the same time.The newer one will charge a battery up about 30% more after the old one had automatically cut off.I know as I measured them.My good modern charger will charge a standard,sealed or low maintenance car,battery,my trolling motor battery or the gel battery in my wheel battery plus some more.It can also be left on for months and will keep the battery charged automatically.Modern technology.Now after trying out all of this to see if it worked,I do not leave it or any electrical appliance plugged in unnecessarily including this.

ALSO!Get spare prop,shear pins,washer and prop nut.You never know when you will damage a prop or lose a pin,washer or nut while removing line.You should remove prop and check for fishing line on shaft regularly and anytime you suspect such on any motor of any kind now including your lawn mower when mowing your yard as it can and will damage your seal and actually cut into your shaft with grit or braided line.

Please let us know how you make out and what you learn.We missed things,things change and all of us but the ones who know it all are still learning.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If I wanted to get a rough idea about how long my battary will last, I'd place the motor in a trash container filled with water, and run the motor at full speed until the battery reads 12.0 volts. No lower or you will in time damage the battery.

Recharge the battery to at least 13.0 volts and test again at a different speed. And so on....

Not perfect but something you can use for a guide.

Good luck,

7. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks Bill, I appreciate the idea.

8. RiverMedic

RiverMedic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a square stern 17 ft. fiberglass canoe (pretty heavy) that I bought 3 years ago. I caught a minnkota 34lb. thrust, on sale at wally's and successfully used it for 2 yrs. in the little wabash river to catch many, many fish. I had a deep cycle marine battery which I charged every night and also brought along a regular car battery just in case I didn't have enough power to get back to the ramp. It was 3 miles down to my best catfish hole and only had to use spare batt. once on a day that an unexpected wind kicked up and it wasn't a tailwind! You have to resign yourself not to go fast, but, on the other hand you see so much more without the noise of an ouitboard and it is far less expensive! You just can't be in a hurry!