Trolling Motor mounts.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by solomon, Feb 5, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    anybody got any good ideas for mounting a trolling motor on the front of a flatbottom boat? Prefferably something that can be easily removed when not being used.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would cut out some metal to make a platform for you trolling motor(like a casting deck) I would buy some bolts and drill a hole in them so you can put a cotter pin through them or buy some hitch pins(you can find them at most hardware or farm supply stores). So when you want to remove the trolling motor remove the pins and then remove the trolling motor from the platform. Here is a picture of another style of pin that would also work. Make sure the cotter pin is underneath the platform.

chris

Attached Files:

• pin.jpg
      pin.jpg
      File size:
      24.1 KB
      Views:

3. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    2 c clamps and a piece of plywood

4. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Here is an example that I drew up so you can get a better idea. The example of the mount is based on the Break away style trolling motor.

Attached Files:

5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    chris, that looks like a good idea, but the boat will be brand new, and I'm gonna try (at least for a while) not to drill holes in it. I got to thinking about maybe getting the boat company to weld a small plate on the front of the boat and just put a transom mount trolling motor on it.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If its like most johnboats. if your mounting a transom mount on the front. I always used a 1x4" aobut 6" long and place under the lip and tighten the trolling motor to that.
    Or Cabalas sells a piece that fits into the handle on the front and clamps to the boat and then clamp the motor to that. Also you can take the screw out of the head and rotate it to make it work right on the front of the boat. Just turn the handle and head half way around and it works right. AS it will have the handle sticking out the front of the boat other wise.

Here is what I was talking about.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat21380&hasJS=true

Pete

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    might look into that cabela's product. That sounds like it might work. For that matter the board will too. I just hate the thought of buying a new boat and start off by putting holes in it.

8. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Shiloh, I didn't even know something like that existed. I believe that'll be what I get. Thanks a lot man.:)

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    your welcome, That is what makes this board so great.
    Also a new boat is only an old boat waiting to be modified. Needs a few holes here and there.
    Pete

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I've been wanting to put a trolling motor on the front of my 16 footer. How much thrust should I get, and can I mount a transom mount on the bow, meaning is the motor adjustable so that I can change the prop position in relation to the tiller? BTW I fish small to medium rivers and plan to use it to control drift and position over or near structure and don't want to waste space with a foot control bow mount, much less go to that expense.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I used a 36 lb on my 14x52 john boat. but the 17ft boat I have now I have a 48 lb on it. So I would go between those 2.
    Yes to adjust the prop postition just turn the head around after talking out one screw below the head and the shaft. Turn the head and handle to point the foot the other way. I have done this for years.
    Pete

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thanks Shiloh, That's what I thought but wanted to be sure before I went to EBAY.