Trolling motor for jon boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by TScottW99, Jun 30, 2007.

1. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    Hello all. I am getting ready to put a trolling motor on my small 10 foot jon boat. I will use the motor as the primary source of power, the other source is me and the oars :smile2: .

I was wondering what size I should get. I have looked at the 45 pound thrust and the 55 pound thrust. I will be using the boat mostly on the New River to get to islands and back, fish down stream and maybe to get into a cove or two at a local lake (during the slow times)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    In a small boat I would go with a tiller style steering motor. The foot controlled models take up to much floor space. Also, bite the bullet and buy a good battery...you should be able to go all day on a single charge with no probs

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I recently bought a 14 ft jon boat and just Friday I bought the trolling motor for my primary source of power. I got the 50 # thrust minn kota endura (transom mount) and took it out yesterday... seemed just about perfect. Got going at a pretty decent speed. I don't think it would have any troubles on the streams and rivers around here unless it was like flood stage or really moving current. I don't know how much your boat weights but mine is about 135 pounds without us and our gear in it. Hope this helps.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I have an Endura 50 from Minkota on my 10' boat also. :0a26::0a22:

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    you should be good to go with a 50+

6. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    with a 10' jon boat a 45 would be plenty. I had a 14' and powered it with a 27 # thrust minkota.

7. ynnad40

ynnad40 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had a 14 foot flat bottom jon. I had a 55 for when i was going on the river. But I also had a 36 given to me that pushed along fine on my brothers pond. From my experience I used less battery with the 55 using less throttle than using the 36 at full throttle.

8. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    Thanks everyone!

I'm saving up now, and am waiting on the VDGIF for my paperwork. Hopefully will buying it in a month or so.

9. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just got a 45 lb thrust yesterday and plan to give it a try this week.

duckriverdave