Trolling motor for john boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bigfish, Feb 21, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    will a 30" shaft trolling motor be a long enough shaft for a john boat.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i would think so. thats what i had when i had a jon boat was a 30 inch shaft trolling motor.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Depends.... how high to you like the motor head when your using it? If you like it down low and out of the way, 30" should be plenty but if you like the motor head up high then you might be too high up and you will suck air when your on high speed and will for sure when your in waves that lift your boat up. I'm assuming that our talking about a transom mount that just screws tight like an outboard motor would and not a foot controlled model. I have several electric motors and I would say most of mine are in the 42" - 52" range but then I fish deeper water and I like the head down low out of the way but I do have a shorter one and it doesn't bother me at all. Also if your in shallow water a lot your not going to be able to lower that unit too far no matter how long the shaft is. I would cut a stick 30" long and then go play with it on the back of your boat and just get a feel for how deep it will be in different positions. I would say you would need about 18" to 20" in the water to not suck air and even then your might a little. Remember that boat will be in the water a bit so you have to find your water line on your boat to get a true depth reading. Good luck.

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    For some of the small lakes and ponds a 30 in works pretty good for me. I don't fish in that deep of water with it.

5. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    yes i am buying a transom mount, but im turning the head around {like ive heard several people on here doing} and using it on the bow. so i dont know if that will make a differance in the length i need. i can take a stick 30" and see how it sets. but how do they measure the length? when they say 30" are they measuring from the bottom of the head down to the top of the gear box or what?

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Way I understand it that is the length of the shaft. I did that with mine and ended up changing the shaft out to a longer one. If it is a regular flat bottom jon it should be ok. especially since you are going to be fishing from the front.