Trolling motor - Fix it or get a new one?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Nobody Special, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    My trolling motor went kaplunk on me today. It's a 1998 Evinrude 24 volt 41# thrust and the brackets, shaft, and foot pedal is in good condition. I can get a new motor assembly for it for around $200 plus shipping. Bass Pro Shops has a Minn Kota 65AT 24volt 65# thrust which I think is a discontinued model, that will be on sale Saturday for $399.

What would you do?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You sure it is the motor and not the switch?

3. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    Yeah. It was running but was squealing real loud like the bushings were burned up.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Grumpy, if I could afford it, I would go with the new one myself.
    They get more and more efficient all the time.

Just make sure the discontinued one isnt that self docking (stows and deploys itself) foot controlled trolling motor by Minnkota.
    Probally isnt though. I think Minnkota finally pulled them all off the shelves theirself.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    If you have the cost i would go with a new one. 200.00 to fix it this time and how long before something goes out again. 7 years is alot of time if you use yours as i do mind.

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    new one gets my vote too.

7. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX

Got to agree. Bearing now, then a switch, then what. Ya got your moneys worth, buy the new one and stop worrying! If you have used it so much the bearing went out then other parts are more likely than not getting ready to quit also. JMHO

Frank

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Grumpy, get ya a new one, ya will be happy ya did. Then sell the parts or whole thing on e-bay. I bet ya someone is looking for a foot control for that model right now...... Might be able to get some of your money back, just a thought !

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm in total agreement with all the others. Go new

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    grumpy i would go with the new one but i would be sure it was a cable driven one instead of a motor driven. i bought a motor driven one by motor guide for my boat and i just cant get use to it. seems like everything has a delay in it. turn left or right have to wait 3-4 sec. give it the "gas" have to wait 3-4 sec. i just cannot get use to it. the only thing i like is it does not have the cable hanging out. my is a 2003 and im already to wanting to change it. if your old one is like this you may be ok. i grew up on the cables driven.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Grumpy if you are getting a MINNKOTA check and make sure it has the built in MAXIMIZER.This feature really extends your running time on a single battery charge.Its one of those rare things that actually does what its advertised to do.:)

12. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    Thanks, I'm going with the new one. I've already took the old one apart and have most of the useable parts on ebay already.

I sure hate fighting that crowd at the BPS Classic sale tomorrow, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Grumpy if you have to go and fight the crowd you just as well shop around and get other fishing gear while your there. Like you said a man's got to do what a man's got to do!

14. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I got my new motor today. I got to BPS at Nashville just a few minutes before they opened and there wasn't many people there. maybe 30 when they started letting people inside. I went in, got the motor and a life jacket and was back out in 10 minutes.

I'm not impressed with the motor though. It as a Minn Kota 65AT. The thing weighs a ton compared to my old evinrude motor. the motor is about twice as big as the motor on the old one and the foot pedal just about covers the whole deck. The wiring and switches in the foot pedal don't seem to be waterproof at all. One wave over the bow and that will probably be the end of it. The original motor was 41# trust and this one is 65#. May be too much for my little 17' Stratos. I'll know Monday when I get it wet.

15. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well Grumpy you can always try it out and if you don't like it take it back. I've never had trouble from bass pro if I was not happy with my purchase.

16. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Grumpy, glad to hear you got the new trolling motor. Put it through the paces and if it don't suit you, like Rip said take it back. BP is good about returns with no hassles!

Frank

17. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I was at bass pro yesterday and the minnkota rep was there. I almost pulled the trigger on a 70lb with the 20' cord that you can add the remote steer for 150$. I am having response problems with my remote motorguide that is about 7 years old. I see almost everyone votes for new, so that makes sense to me too. It is about 75$ more to have the transducer built into the motor. It sounded logical to avoid wrapping the cable. Seems like you get to $900$ pretty quick. Any thoughts! Hannibal Mike

18. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    The more I looked at the thing, the more I hated it. They didn't have any of this model on display, so I couldn't actually see what I was getting. It's just too damn big. I took it off and went back to Nashville and got a refund on it and then got a 46# motorguide. I think I'm going to be happy with this one. It looks a lot better on the boat.

19. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I put all the parts of the old one on ebay. I advertised the motor assembly as being usable only for parts or repair and it brought $22.02. The rest of the parts were good and the Bow arm assembly brought $60.12, Foot pedal brought $41.00, Steering cable and wires brought $41.00, Shaft with the head brought $36.50, prop brought $1.79, and the owners manual brought $1.07. Total= $203.50. Pretty good for a 10 year old trolling motor that didn't work, huh?

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Great job Grumpy let us know about the transducer / Skeg protector when you get in on.