Trolling motor boat weight

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by hodx, Mar 19, 2006.

1. hodx

hodx New Member

State:
    diz
    anybody know how much thrust I would need to push a 16 foot boat in a 5 to 10mph wind. I have a 55.lb thrust on the back and a 46.lb thrust on the front..I am using 2 batterys for each motor.

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    lol Herman, thats your problem... your trying to push it forward and backward at the same time... just messing w/ you... i would think a 55 would do just fine pushing the 16 foot boat into 5-10 mph winds... the 46 too wouldn't be that bad either... the only real question is how fast you'd be going...

On another note, have you gotten your WSSC pass yet? im looking forward to fishing out on the ressy's w/ you

3. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Ive got a 68 lb on my 17 ft fish and ski and when the batteries are charged good I can get around for hours

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I use a 46 lb. minn kota (rear of boat cause the 15hp is still down) on a 15' flat bottom in the same winds or higher at times and it gets around very well all day long. Kinda slow but I'm used to it.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Depends on the boat too. Some of the flat bottom boats have a bow that acts as a sail.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I have a 16 foot aluminum semi V and a 30 lb tmotor. I bass fish with it alot and have no problem. I have a basic boat that doesn't weigh too much also. I was out in the wind the last two days and had no problem except hard gusts. I fished all day on one battery and did fine.

7. hodx

hodx New Member

State:
    diz
    I figure with the weight of the boat and 2 people my boat weight is 1400.lbs

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am not an expert, but I am pretty sure you need somewhere in the range of 70-80lb thrust! I know that is what I need for my 16 foot fiberglass boat! They are kind of expensive when they get up in that range though!

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    on my 18 foot bassboat a 70 pound one will tug that boat around all day with no issues put it on 12 volts it does a good job put it on 24 lookout lol it yanks it around

10. hodx

hodx New Member

State:
    diz
    yeah..but both of my motors = 101.lb thrust with 2 batterys each for now..want to get a thrid one for the transom motor.

11. hodx

hodx New Member

State:
    diz
    also forgot..I troll a lot in a 8-12 hour day

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I forgot earlier that if you have the money, Briggs and Stratton (i think thats how you spell it) have a 3hp eletric Outboard... I know you fish quite a few electric only ressy's so that may be a decent option as well if you've got the money for it... i've found them for around $2000 so they are up there as far as that goes... Aside from the price they seem to be great and i'd buy one in a heart beat if i had the money...