trolling motor battery

Discussion in 'Boating' started by fishingva93, Dec 13, 2008.

1. fishingva93

fishingva93 New Member

State:
    virginia
    what is the best kind of deep cycle battery? how long does the typical battery last? i have a 32 pound thrust minn kota if that helps.

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    They are all about the same just don,t use a cranking battery make sure its a marine troiling

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the Walmart batteries, average 3- 4 years service.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    My boat has 2 Interstate Megatron marine batteries for the trolling motor. No problems, hold a charge a long time. Don't know how long they last though, haven't wore em out yet..lol:smile2:

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I use Interstate like Mike but mine last one season. :big_smile:

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good point, depends how much ya use them. Someone like Paul who uses them daily can give the best advice.

7. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I had some Optima's that lasted for two and a half years but they cost $150.00 each.

However, the extra cost averaged out to about the same as regular deep cycles.

One advantage with Optima is that they charge twice as fast.

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I use the big yellow Walmart Eveready batteries, and they always seam to die two days after the warranty runs out.:eek:oooh:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    With that motor you would probably get 2.5 - 3 hours out of a group 24 battery, or even more with a bigger battery like a group 27.

As far as battery life expectancy, as others said, be sure it's a deep cycle. Part of life expectancy comes down to how you treat it. Most batteries will last much longer if you avoid very deep discharges, a fancy AGM battery will last thousands of cycles if you don't run it below about 50% discharge, but will not survive even 100 cycles if you do complete discharges every time. Most people will probably get several hundred cycles at least. There is a lot of variation in the cheaper wet cell deep cycles, but the same thing applies - avoid complete discharges. And be sure to maintain them, they will surely die if the water gets too low.