Trolling motor battery

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Tinybaum, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Tinybaum

Tinybaum New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Hey guys/gals

I am in the market for a trolling motor battery. I have a motor sitting in my basement that I havent used in several years. I have recently decided that I want to fish some of the lakes here locally that only allow electric. Problem is I no longer have a battery for the motor.

What are your guys recommended battery that will last a good long time on the lake. The one I had before would last most of the day using it on the lower speeds of the motor, and I would like to get the same performance.

Please help I have the wife willing to let me spend lol

Tiny

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You dont say what type of trolling motor you have but if you want the most capacity,long service life,and a good warranty,get the TROJAN SCS series 31 battery.I have used this battery for over 15 years(Not the same one:smile2:) and find it to be the best of the standard flooded cell batteries.It has 225 minutes of reserve capacity at a 25 amp draw which is 15min short of 4 hours.Believe me nothing else is close.I can and have used them all from the most exspensive to the cheapest and this is the best flooded cell battery for your application.Now the bad news;it does cost around 100$.Being flooded it does require maintenance.I would buy the liquid battery desulphanator that MinnKota makes and add it to the battery when new.You can get it at Walmart back it the boat section.I still use a TROJAN SCS on my boat to run my night time illumination light and my baitwell aereator.:smile2:

3. Tinybaum

Tinybaum New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I just have a minn kota, not sure of the model or anything.

I had a Die-Hard that was a trooper till I slightly overcharged it for about 6 months lol

I was looking at this one

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Products/ProductSpec.aspx?Name=MK31DC

Is that the same one you were talking about? For 100 a piece I can get 2 :big_smile:

Tiny

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I was talking about the SCS225 but other than not having the same terminals the Minnkota seems to be the same and its made by TROJAN.If you call them and ask what the difference is they will tell you honestly and then you can make a decision.:big_smile: