Trolling Motor Battery Suggestions?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Patmansc, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Well, I guess that it's time to get a new battery for my trolling motor, as the current one (ha! that's a pun :eek:oooh:) won't hold a charge. Any suggestions for a good & affordable one?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Pat, I recently replaced one of my Interstate batteries after some 5 years of use; the other one is still doing well. I've also had good luck with the ones from walmart. No matter the brand, just be sure to keep them charged after every use.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks, Tommy! I think that's why this one only lasted 3 years - 'cause I woudn't charge it until the night before I went out. Yesterday I read that the battery will get damaged if it freezes while discharged, so now I will hook up the charger right when I get home :big_smile:

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 3 of the WalMart marine batteries on my boat, 1 deep cycle cranking and 2 deep cycle trolling. These batteries are 3 years old now. I credit the longevity of them to the fact that when they arent on the water, they are plugged into my Dual Pro 3 bank onboard charger as soon as they get home or back to a power source, and left on the charger until
    their next use. It is recommended by the battery manufacturers and charger manufacturers to recharge and condition your batteries within 12 to 24 hrs. of use. I highly recommend a charger/conditioner over a regular charger.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Buy the Wal-Mart batteries for $59.00

I fish about 85-100 days a year, and the best I can get is about 2 1/2 years out of the best batteries. So, I would rather pay less and get the same amount of time from the cheaper battery.

6. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Several years ago a good friend of mine that was a battery salesman for one of the well known brands shared a little secret with me. According to him 99% of the batteries in the U.S. are made in three plants by two companies. He said Die Hard, Interstate, Maxxum (the yellow one at Wal-Mart),etc were all the same components just a different package. From what I remember the factor that made the difference both price and quality wise was the thickness and purity of the lead used in the plates.

The proof... His boat had all Maxxum! Not In******te.

7. bowhunter145

bowhunter145 New Member

State:
    indiana
    iv got a friend that has worked for interstate batteries the best advice i can give u is if u can let the battery go completly dead then recharge it i just bought a 2001 lund with 2 interstate batterys for the trolling motor and the guy bought them brand new in when he bought the boat in 2002 and he did that when he could and they still work great to this day and thats for any rechargable battery

8. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    check out trojan batteries.com, lots of good tips on care and charging. ive had good luck out of the wal-mart deep cycle, its was about 80$ but its 125 amp/h