Trolling for stripers...

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Wvawitrado, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Hey guys im fishing friant CA Millerton lake and I was planning on trolling the lake for stripers...Though I have never done this how would I go about doing it? What lures? and I know that they heavily feed on shad and love chrome can anyone offer help as far as rig set ups and what i need for my terminal lure tackle etc....

2. BigCountryRob

BigCountryRob New Member

State:
    champaign i illinios
    i think i would try a strip on jig with shad. ive never fished for them trolling but ive used them fishing for northern pike before

3. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Jordan if I can recomend a spoon it would be a Crocodile chrome spoon by Lure- Jehnsen.

Jaime

4. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Thanks jaime I just started fishing millerton and its a huge lake so I figured trolling would be the most effective way but word on the street is that it kicks out 100+ 20# a year and there are few in the 50 and sixty pound range just waiting to be caught What size spoon?

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Check out the jointed series trout baits from Storm. One thing is dont be afraid to use a large bait 8 to 10 inches. You would be surprised what they will attack. Hope this helps.

6. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Are you talking about those swimbaits? yeah this does help I have trouble commiting to big tackle but I heard there really aggressive....Do you troll for them? thanks for the info

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Mike is right. big bait = big fish. I would say 5-6 ounces. You might want to try a swim bait called stocker trout. I seen pictures of double digit fish caught on thosewim baits.

Jaime

8. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Yeah I keep hearing about those stock size swim baits I heard that large bass and stripers go wild because of the life like moving action...Do you striper fish jaime?

9. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    ozzys right dont be afraid of big baits, i mainly livebait fish for them, but ive caught 10lbers on 8-12rainbow trout and got a 8lber on a 8in gizard. if you findem when there hungry there not real picky. i know alot of people around here pull u-rigs, if you try u-rigs buy a retriver also. how deep are the fish? you can run leadline to get lures deeper if need be.

10. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Well im really new to fishing for them I only have my boat a nice rod and tekota 500 to troll for them with What should I purchase as in tackle to get me started? Whats a u/rig? And the fish are in the upper rivers of millerton lake probably like thirty feet maybe 40 feet