Trolling for Salmon...How to.....

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by KewlBird, May 7, 2008.

1. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    Well, since I've never done it and before looking like a total idiot I thought I'd ask you guys first. How do you troll for Salmon, what gear and are downriggers neccessary? I've searched around the web and picked up a couple of pointers but I'm still a bit lost on the gear.

Basically, I would like to attempt to go Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan (either Grand Haven or Muskegon, Holland is a maybe). So, a few questions:
    1. Is this a good time of year for trolling for Salmon on Lake Michigan?
    2. Downriggers neccessary? If not what's neccessary to be able to troll? (I'd prefer not to buy downriggers at this time)
    3. Lure recommendations...
    4. Suggested trolling speed...

Any other tips/tricks will be appreciated.

I do have a GPS/Fishfinder and understand you have to locate the fish and determine what depth they are at before attempting to troll. Beyond that it's all new for me....

Thanks, hopefully someone can help otherwise you might run into one of those people that make you think "what the heck are those idiots doing?". :wink:

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    While I have no experience with lake fishing for salmon, I can tell you how things are done on the California coast. Unfortunately, I have no way to judge the trolling speed, except to tell you that you don't want to move faster than the bait fish do.

For the sort of trolling I've done, I've had a weight releaser; it looks a bit like a copper whistle; it's a tube with eyes on either end, and a slot cut across. One eye is more or less fixed; the other is part of a spring-loaded rod. The idea is that you thread the eye of your sinker (I use 2.5# ball) through the rod so that the eye is held in the slot. When you get a fish, it will pull hard enough to release the weight.

The lures I use are Luhr Jensen Krocodile (r) or Coyote (r).

At any rate, I hope someone who fishes where you do replies.

-- Rich

3. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    Well, I got some tips here and there. Bought some DipsyDivers and some spoons, new line and went out this morning. I went out about 3-4 miles from the shore and looked for fish then started trolling. There wasn't anyaction until about 5 hours later at which point my buddy got a 31.5" 12lb. King Salmon. It was a nice fight. The DipsyDivers didn't seem to work too well (the settings didn't seem to do what they were supposed to). Either way I'm glad someone got a fish, even though neither one of us knew what we were doing. :big_smile:. I think I might invest into some cheap downriggers, it was a very fun day out on Lake Michigan., up until we started seeing 4ft+ waves in my little 16ft. Starcraft superfisherman. :crazy: