Trolling for catfish on Lake Moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Capt. Darryl Smith, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    Well 2009 is turning out to be unbelievable. The cats today was on fire. It took me a while to find them where the weather moved them from the day before about 1 mile away. Strom wind moves fish around because it blows the baitfish around and water temps, and PH in the water can change. We had no wind at first so I started right off the bat Back Trolling. If you don’t know how to do this I recommend you learn. IT WORKS.
    The first fish was a 15 lb blue, second was a 54 lb flathead. We caught a few more 10-20 lb fish and then I hit the jackpot. We had a 45lb, 44lb, 33lb, and a 28lb blue on all at once. We ended the day early at noon with 21 fish that totaled 496 lbs. We had 7 limit size fish over 36 inches caught. We released 3 and kept 4 fish over 36 inches long. Even when the wind did get up it was in the wrong direction from what I needed so I just kept back trolling the direction I needed and caught fish till I went in. I had a friend within a quarter of mile of me who was drifting with the wind and he only caught 1 fish. So don’t be scared to troll for catfish. It works well!

Attached Files:

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    whow darryl, those were some great fish. i sure wish i was your neighbor :smile2: i'd hire on as your first mate.

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    great bunch of fish there capt

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's a great day for sure. I'm curious about what speed you maintain while back trolling. I saw you out there one day a month or so back doing that and was curious about it. Thanks.

5. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    darryl dont catch them all till i get back nobody will want to fish with me lol keep up the good work i think your great the roundhill:crazy::cool2::wink::smile2:

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have back trolled and caught quite a few cats but now I back troll with my trolling motor and 1 of my smaller socks(6') out to keep the boat inline. I personally think that trolling is more effective than actually wind drifting to stay on certain lines. It is hard to have the perfect wind to drift some of the tighter areas in the lake. Learning how to troll has helped my fishing out tremendouslly. I would have never won the CC spring tournament without being able to troll and stay in the small area I was catching my fish in.

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Awesome catch Darryl. I know you counted every fish and weighed every one. What was the total pounds for 2008 for your parties.

8. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    :smile2:What a great way to spend a day!!!!:smile2: Those are some great fish Capt.! Wish you continued success!!

9. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i started fishing as a crappie fisherman ,i am used to long line trolling with 12 rods off the back ,having to make turns and hug points and bump structure all while keeping the lines moving and not getting them snagged or tied into a knot so i think when i started trolling for cats it just came natural , and i think my crappie background has helped me ,it seems when the bite is bad i still manage to catch good numbers of cats ,not always big but fish!! and i find myself instead of getting mad while crappie trolling and catching cats i make a note of the situation and the conditions so i can repeat it next time when i'm out cattin , and now i do that more than crappie fishin .:confused2: great catch capt daryll

10. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Very nice day of fishin!! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh: Way to go Capt. Darryl

We had a great day as well, I looked for ya but not real sure what your toon looks like. I also used a trolling motor to achive the optimal drifts. The best drifts we had were done using a sock and trolling motor. Most of the runs we were doing were very short.

Great job and thanks for the reports and pictures.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well were is the report than. Inquiring minds would like to know. I also like looking at pics.:wink:

12. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great catch Capt.Darryl keep those post coming!

13. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Very nice especially the flathead!!!
    How fast do you troll backwards?
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

14. Yes, i have the same question. How fast and are lines dragged like regular driftin or more vertical. if using an outboard motor to troll is there a fear of spooking the fish w/ noise and/or is there a minumun depth w/out
    spooking them?

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I try to maintain the same speed I do when drifting (.3-.7) on the lower end of that in the winter. The motor never has semmed to spook any fish. I do nothing differnet when trolling versus drifting and I have caught fish trolling in less than 4' deep.:wink:

16. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm kinda new to catfishing and can use all the help I can get.
    My Question -

When "back trolling" are you trolling with the wind or against the wind & does it matter.
    What is the difference between back trolling, trolling, and just drifting with socks?

Thanks for the info.
    There have been some great posts in the last few days.

17. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anyone interested in anwering my questions? :big_smile:

18. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    james the reson to back troll is the wind ant blowing an you do it so you can put your baits where you want them you can mark fish then set up your drift or troll to get your bate where they are at i hope this helps if not come to santee i will be glad to show you.the roundhill

19. do you use drift socks also off the bow when backtrolling?

20. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I am not familiar with the term back trolling but, when I want to fish a line different than the wind direction I have used a sock while trolling. I think it helps to keep better control of boat position. Motor pulling one way and sock giving resistance in the opposite direction, keeps the boat straight. Now there is a point where wind speed makes this difficult to almost impossible. I can't speak for toons but smaller boats are harder to manipulate against the wind or with a cross wind.

IMO: go out and try everything you can so you know what your boat is capable of doing. People who are great at catching fish are that way because they fish.............a lot!!!:wink: Just go!!!