trolling for catfish on Lake Badin

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Brad0828, May 12, 2008.

1. Brad0828

Brad0828 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I would like to try trolling or drifting for some big blues on badin lake, and I really don't know where do get started. If anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I think the libary has something on it but drifting is just that. you can use drift sock to slow you down or 5 gallon buckets, drift slowly. you can rig a cork below your weight just above the hook to help keep hook/bait off the bottom. you can hang them straight down just above the bottom or you can cast it out back and let it drag. you will probably do all of this at one time or another. There is no set way, whatever works best for the bottom your fishing. you should already be useing leaders and swivelles(?) cork would go on leader. dont use as much weight as you would for heavy current or it will drag heavy and hang more. slinky weights work best for me. if you have extra rods raise them up from the bottom and give the suspended fish a chance. I use circle hooks because I fish alot of rods when drifting and I'm useally standing in front of wrong rod. drift around 1/2 mph or less if possible, if over 2 mph fish for striper instead:big_smile:.I have caught a ton of fish like this but still looking for the big ones, I think I'll catch it anchored. oh yea bring extra tackle

3. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Jerry told you how a lot of us fish badin .I caught a 48lber drifting at badin .Catfishrus won a tournament with two 40 plus pounders back to back with that style at badin a couple of months ago. It works . Watch for the thermocline developing dragging them under it want be very productive this summer.Drift or slow troll with slipp bobber rigs this summer.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother Bradley, for information on drift fishing, go to Catfish Publications, top of the page of this forum and look for 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University', almost everything you need to know will be there.

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Read all the articles you can find on drifting and put all the info. together that you can find and them go try it. You will catch fish by doing what the articles say to do, but there is a lot more to drifting suh as different baits to use, or how to rig them, boat speeds, thermocline and how to fish it, etc. I drift mainly in the summer or when I am seeing scattered fish and I'm not marking anything good enough to anchor on. The warmer the water, the faster you can drift. I've caught 'em at Santee going 1 mph in the summer which is really fast for me. I usually drift off the sides of my boat with driftsocks if there is wind and use 7 rods. If it is calm I pull four off the back and two short rods up front dropped down to the bottom and use trolling motor. To get good at drifting, you need to put time in and figure it out. Tie up at least 20 leaders before you go and keep them in a tackle binder so all you need to do is tie one knot when you re-rig. I keep an extra rod rigged, so when I hang one up I can cast it out and be rigging the other one while I got a full spread. Sometimes you'll drift across stuff that will hang up everything you got and that's part of it. If you see lots of brush and stuff on the bottom, don't try it!! I use bank sinkers to drift becasue they are cheaper and I don't have to make them like the slinky weights. I usually start drifting when the blues come off the beds sometime in June. Good luck!

6. Brad0828

Brad0828 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for the info. Going to try it tonight, and in the morning