Trolling for Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by TA2D, Jun 21, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Does this work in your bigger lakes and reserviors? I have been fishing on Lake Superior, and caught some big lake trout this way, would this work with a cannonball rig?

Aaron

TA2D

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    That is an interesting idea and I'm sure it would work.Drift fishing is very popular right now and I dont see why suspending the bait up in the water column by virtue of downriggers wouldn't work as oppoed to bottom bouncing.I know in the winter the blues at Santee suspend right under the Menhaden schools as well as shad.You wouldn't want to troll very fast I wouldn't think.:smile2:

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I was thinking 1-3 knots, maybe 10 feet off the bottom.

Aaron

TA2D

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Oh ya, it works!!

I mix my lines up some. Some a few inches off the bottom, some further up. Most are caught within 12"-18" off the bottom, but I have taken them several feet off the bottom.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Don't have a boat yet, and our big lakes hold flats for population control, think it would work for flats too? I think at Santee a setup like that would be killer!

Aaron

TA2D

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i done a lot of trolling at santee when i was a kid for the bass. we caught more catfish on some days then bass. we always used rebel wee r's and bomer model a crankbaits. i remember one trip, that i caught a blue cat ever pass thru. got my biggest blue for a long time that day trolling. 19lbs. we never caught a flathead trolling. always blues and channels. maybe the flat relate to structure too much and there is plenty of that at santee, so a cannon ball wouldnt last 10 minutes at santee. i dont think your going to have much luck with the flats trolling but there is always the odd one.

7. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

Trolling always works for me i catch more big blues troling then letting my bait just sit there and wait.

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Are you tight-lining, lines straight down? Or trolling like in the ocean, some distance behind the boat. Thanks.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Aaron, I caught a 13 lb flathead yesterday morning trolling for crappie. Was using a 200 series pearl bandit.

10. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had alot of luck trolling in the ohio river, it seems they bite better when the water is just a little choppy. I think they like the up and down motion with side trolling motion. I always troll over deep holes and then make a circle and troll it over and over again you aught to catch somethin your first few trips

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Aaron, I just want to take this time to remind you that.........
    WE NEED A BOAT
    Can't wait to hit up Branched Oak and them flatheads.
    thanks

Suds