??? trolling for big striper ???

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Sep 14, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    id first off like to say that if i ask anywhere about striper fishing id wouldnt be in my home town...... 90% of the people that i talk to use live shad off a pier but ive never fished for striper on a boat....

second off..... i wouldnt ask the other 10% of people that use lures becasue they have the personally of a door knob so thats why id like to ask the wonderfull fisherman of the BOC....

i have no clue on how to use lures........( can you troll with live bait???)

can anyone help out a nube to lures and or trolling for huge stripers???

any input is greatly appriciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeRoy

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Never trolled with live bait, drifting might work tho. As far as trolling try using very large 8"-12" jointed trout lures. You can get them at BPS and probably most marinas. One caution about marinas, they usually try to sell you everything on the wall.

3. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Best and easiest lure for stripers is a 1 1/2 - 2 oz roadrunner type bucktail jig with a 6" trailer (twist tail, sassy shad, or the ones that look like a feather). I caught tons of them, up to 30# at Amistad. Got a few 20's here in OK. You can troll or cast them. White or yellow are my best colors.

4. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I was trolling with spoonbill rebels and noticed a guy near me catching 5 to my 1. when I was close enough I asked him- he was using spoon bill rebels just like mine, except jointed!

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

something in here ??????

http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/rebels/rebels.htm

im srry but i have no clue about lures

gota do some research on what catches biguns around here!!!:embarassed:

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

ive heard the big striper are around the area where they stock trout

they die before they get to havasu area.... water is to warm :embarassed:

im ordering a couple 9ft okuma combos and plan on putting 30 lb cajun on it or 50 lb braid....

im keeping our smaller combos to put 10 lb mono on with eagle claw leaders....:wink:( i call them LUEY rigs becasue the guy who taught us how to striper fish was named Luey and then one day he just stopped going to the peir):confused2: he out fished everyone at the pier whenever he was there:tounge_out:

7. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Personally, I would go with mono. I've never used braid for them, but I would worry about the lack of stretch. I like to have some give in the line. Also, the fewer knots, the better. Big stripers are like big cats on speed. The good thing is, you're usually in open water and can let them run without getting hung up.

Trout are "striper candy". They're legal for bait here in OK, but I've never used them. If that's what they're looking for, that's the pattern I'd use there. If you go with crankbait type lures, you might want to go with a heavier hook and split-ring.

A story: We were on Amistad using slabs for whites. My friend pulls up a LM bass. He had it to the surface, and a HUGE striper shot up and inhaled it. Came loose, turned around and nailed it again. Took about 50' of line and came loose again. The (now dead) bass measured 15", and all we saw was the tail sticking out of the striper's mouth.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    " another story ":tounge_out:

my dad works with a guy who strickly fishes with eagleclaw leaders when he isnt using lures...... he had 4-5 small stripers for the frying alog with 2 catfish..... he saw the stringer fliping and looked over to see what was kicking...... he kept looking and saw 2 3 ft striper swiming around the stringer...... he grabed the stringer and waited to see if it would jump at the fish...... but the 2 striper were scared off by an even bigger striper:crazy: also......... ill probably use the mono becasue ive learned that a 3 lb striper wont slip the drag with 10 lb mono ( also using 2.5 lbs of drag ) " and i dont want braid to scare my PB:smile2:

ive seen how big the fish are in this lake but we just have to get out there and learn how to snatch them :wink:

9. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    it depends on what your using for bait, you can pull lures on leadcore line, or use deep diving lures, also depends alot on time of year striper are migrational fish you have to use different techniques for different times. if there shallow freelines, planner boards and balloon rigs for live bait, speed is important too fast will kill small live bait if you pull trout they can handle more speed, check your state laws about using trout we can in s.c. but we have to buy them and keep the receipt in case we get checked. check out stripers24/7, striperboard, the nsba theres several others with tons of info. you may reconsider the 2.5lbs of drag after you hook into one with some size:wink:

10. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    What Bambu said....... the stripers are in different parts of the lake and in different depths depending on what time of year. This also alters the technique that you use. I would go by any local bait shops that sell live bait and ask them for info, they will usually give decent advice because they want you to come back!

I would also stay away from the braid. My downline rigs have 17# mainline and 15#flouro leaders. I use a 1/0 red circle hook for the live bait.

I have landed 20# stripers with this set-up and would have no problem reeling in a thirty pounder. Also make sure you don't set your drag too tight, you might have trouble getting the rod out of the holder.

As for artificials, I fish from a kayak mostly so no down-rigger for me, bucktail jigs work well, spoons, flukes and a zara spook for breaking fish.

The key to livebait fishing and vertical jigging is using your sonar to find bait and fish as the striper do not relate to structure.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
  12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i think im getting ahead of myself with the new poles :smile2:

im going to keep using my lue rigs for now and then andance to bigger and better things..........

the only thing im going to up grade to is 12 lb mono instead of the normal 10

i always thought fish hung around cover but i guess thats not always true:wink: