trolling for big cats

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by thecatkiller, Apr 17, 2008.

1. thecatkiller

thecatkiller New Member

State:
    ohio
    anyone else trolling for catfish-I am always looking for more tips anyone got any new tricks? so share some tips with us-heres one of by best-pull two live baits on each planer rig-if thats not working put a big hunk of cut bait on the front hook instead of the fish -keep a live bait on the rear hook -I get awesome big flat heads and channels like this-they almost always take the cut bait-I think they think the bait fish is trying to eat the cut bait and they will take it away-lol

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Interesting Danny. How fast are you trolling? How deep are you runing?

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Danny! That's really interesting stuff about trolling for cats, especially the flatheads. I'd really like to hear more about it. I used to jugfish the Arkansas River several times a week, and still do several times a year, and I've never caught a flathead over a couple of pounds on a jug that was freefloating with the current; they've all been on jugs that got hung up and weren't moving any more.

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    trollin for walleye with erie dearie and nite crawler gets catfish too:big_smile::cool2:

5. thecatkiller

thecatkiller New Member

State:
    ohio
    I troll about a half mile per or less-sometimes 1 mile per hour to 1 and a half miles per hour-we pull live shad , blue gills and fresh cutbait- we use soley planer bobbers to get it way out to the sides and way out to the rear-I power up with the trolling motor till the planer bobbers spread out to the max -then shut off the motor and coast till the planer bobbers come back to the rear and start up the motor again till they spread to the max and coast-the flat heads come from the ohio river on planer bobbers anchored 30 feet out from the bank we fish all the water area below the boat back out 100 feet and out to the sides to the main channel drop off zig zaging my planer bobbers over the ledge and drop off we take lots of flatheads on both cut and live you can fish the whole area with out recasting over and over keep putting the drift past the flat heads and they feed in the current of the drop off at the top or bottom of the ledge- we get channel cats by sending the planer bobber up to the bank and under over hanging trees and rocks-our next generation glow in the dark top make it easy to see at night-never needs batteries or light sticks-it glows brightly all night 8 to 12 hours -you gotta see it -the catkiller