Trolling Crankbaits For Channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Redtick, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I caught this nice channel while trolling crankbaits today. I mainly troll for crappie but it seems like I catch more channels than crappie. I have caught channels nearly every time I have trolled crankbaits.
    I know most of you guys won't try it and I only try it as I am coming back after trying other methods. But, it seems to work, much better than I ever imagioned. If I were tournament catfishing and wasn't having much luck with other methods, I would sure give it a try. You might be surprized on how well it works.
    I will say I have been catching these channels in areas it would be difficult to fish for them in any other way.

Attached Files:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

new ideas are always woth a try thanks for shareing

3. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for the tip will give it a try

4. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I actually have a couple of friends who told me the same thing. I forget what they were actually fishing for, but they said they were trolling with crankbaits and caught 4 channel cats. I say, if it works give it a try!

5. Pigcat71

Pigcat71 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The place you fish must be loaded with channels...or they enjoy baitfish a great deal..

6. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    A spinnerbait also works well.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Sounds like fun,:0a22:
    To be trolling for Crappies And catch a nice Channel while doing so.

I'll have to give that a try one day. :roll_eyes:

Thanks for the tip & for sharing it.

Take Care,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phillip

8. jaybird78

jaybird78 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the tip gonna try it tonight..

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Back when I bass fished, I used to catch channels on crank baits quite a bit, mostly on the red & white ones. It works really well in Jackson Lake but its a shallow lake.

10. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i must say i have never heard of trolling for catfish on purpose or not. learn something new every day! :big_smile:

11. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I think the lake I fish has the usual number of channels in it. I am getting no bites tightlining and few drifting. There are a lot of shad in the lake and I think the big cats are out in the deep water chasing shad.
    I would like to hear reports from other guys trying trolling. I am using mostly Bandit 300s but I have caught them on other brands of crankbaits. The trolling speed is critical.
    It may not be the best way to catch summer, deep water channels but it has been the most effective way for me lately. It is a bit out of the norm for a lot of Brothers but it may be something a few want to try.
    I would consider writng up an article for Catfish Now if the editor is interested. I have written magazine articles before.

12. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Dave, I for one think an article on this subject would be interesting and educational, prim

13. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    One day when fishing in an incrediably small lake my dad and I were trolling rooster tails for small black bass. We ended up catching about 7or so small bass, 8-12 inches, and 2 channels that were about 10 inches. Then one time while sand bass fishing, I was using a spoon that hit the bottom of the lake and a bluecat grabbed it. Other than those 2 times, ive never caught catfish on lures, and never on purpose.

My brother once caught a 9 # flathead on a plastic worm while bass fishing, and I saw a bass masters tournament where one guy hooked into a 20-30# flathead while fishing for bass.

It happens, and maybe some places, times,location work well, but I would say in my experience catching catfish on lures is spotty at best. Just from my experience.

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    It doesnt surprise me at all, I have caught lots of channel cats on a crawdad imitation crankbait in lakes, creeks and rivers.

15. jnjmeyer

jnjmeyer New Member

State:
    Richmond Heights Mo
    Several years ago my brother-in-law and I hired a guide to show us how to catch cats in the MS river. Was quite surprised to discover he before hand told us to buy several small rebel crawdads. We trolled repeatedly along about 2 miles of rip rap from 6AM til about 11AM in about 8 ft of water. He ran the boat downstream. Seemed speed was critical, just enuf to occasionally bounce the lure off the bottom. Need to get the same type of deep running lures otherwise one will always bounce off the bottom and the other will not go deep enuf. We caught everything, bass, cats, drum and sauger. All told about 20 fish. However, the guy driving the boat doesn't have any fun, he's too busy steering the boat, watching the depth finder, adjusting boat speed and turning the boat around whenever we got snagged or caught a fish. Too much work for me, I'd rather find a good hole, drop the anchor, sit back, shoot the breeze and enjoy the day/nite and just maybe catch a cat or two.

16. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    One day a while back when I was beating the banks for ba$$ I threw out a shallow running lure and trolled it behind me. A small blue came up and grabed it. So it does work on occasion.

17. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Here is a photo that appeared in the june 2001 issue of Georgia Sportsman magazine. They had an article on catfishing and this photo of a channel taken by a crankbait was with the article.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3207275

18. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
  19. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    jmnjmeyer has the idea of using crankbaits right. It is a multispecies approach but I have been able to catch more channels than anything else. And, he is very correct, trolling speed and how deep you troll your crank baits are critical. I reckon the main reason I catch more cats is that I troll the bottom a lot. But, I have caught them near the surface in deep water also. You need to run your bait near where the food source the fish are using and match your lures to the prevalent foodsource. I use shad type crankbaits but if I fished rip rap a lot, I would use crawfish type crankbaits.
    If any of you guys try it, let me know your methods and results. I think it is a new approach that deserves some research. Right now, it is a last resort thing but as it works more and more, I will be using it more and more.
    And, I personally do not care if I catch another species if it is big. I caught an 8 pound striper the other day and it was FUN!

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught one on a Mepps Spinner and one on a Shad Rap.