Trolling Crankbaits For Channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Redtick, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Believe it or not, I have been catching some nice channels trolling crankbaits. I started trolling crankbaits as a way to catch crappie but after catching channels just about everytime, I believe it is an effective way to consistantly catch channel catfish. And, after reading many threads about trolling for crappie on the crappie board, most of the guys all over the country are also catching big channels this way.
    I consider myself an accomplished catman. I catch my share of what most guys would consider big channels. Lately, I have been catching more channels by trolling crankbaits than I have by other, more proven methods. And, in areas that you could not effectively fish for channels using any other method. I am not completely sold on it, I use tried and true methods first and then troll back to the ramp. I have had trolling work when other great methods failed.
    I know this may not interest some of you guys, but, trolling for channels does work. You have to be open for multispecies action, the cranks attract other species also. But, I seem to catch as many big channels as I do any other species. It is a BIG rish when a 10 pound channel slams your crankbait. You need to have good rod holders, a stout rod and reel combo, and good line to get a big channel to the boat. It can be exciting!

2. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Dave: I know what your talking about, we've been taking some channels while trolling for walleye. We were using a jig and worm rig and got several decent cats, when we would cross over some bottom structure.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have caught a few while b*** fishing and just thought it was from an overly aggresive are hungry catfish. I troll for crappie and will have to keep my eyes open for kittys in the futur

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    hey I can back you on this me and my father used to pick up channels regularly when trolling the thermocline looking for hybrid stripers with some fairly big plugs to plus ive seen articles about this in the In-fisherman

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    When the channels are spawning crank baits on rock banks will catch a lot of fish.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    What kind of crankbaits, redtick? I have know people troll for walleyes but I did know u can catch channels on crankbaits.

7. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    There is a wide variety of crankbaits that can be used. Some may include shad raps, Bombers, Bandits, and Hot&Tots. If you want some great information on trolling for crappie/channels, go to the crappiedotcom message board. Most guys catching channels are using Bandit 200 or 300 crankbaits with the 300s getting the best results. They dive a little deeper. There is a wide variety of colors that work with some guys swearing that awesome pink is the best color.
    The way I see it, the weather is too hot for most catfishing techniques to be effective in the daytime. So some experimenting with crankbaits was something to try. I was surprized by catching channels nearly everytime I have trolled. I think it is an effective way to catch channels and plan to do more research in the future. Of course, those slab crappies I catch while trolling crankbaits are not bad either. I have found that you can usually catch channels if you are catching crappie whether trolling or any other way of catching crappie. I often fish for crappie to find places to fish for channels. When I have found the crappie, I have also found the channels.

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Always catch cats when trolling for whitebass. We troll humps and flats the are holding shad, we've had a great shad spawn so finding baitfish isn't real hard. Most of the time we are in 15' or less of water and seem to do well on chrome and blue Rattle Traps and shad colored Thin Fins. Seem to catch more cats on the Thin Fins, but have caught a lot of cats on traps in the past. I think the cats follow the open water predators and pick on cripples they miss, though I did catch a cat in the middle of a whitebass/shad bust. Your right about the "muti-species" thing, I caught 8 different species of fish the other day trolling traps and bladebait for whites!!

9. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    That is true, it also works for flatheads.

Creek channels are also a good place to troll for channels in a lake, in the daytime. But they are usually fairly deep, so you need a deep diver, i like the norman DD22.