trolling battery charging

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by malaki, Aug 20, 2005.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    whats the proper way to charge my deepcycle trolling motor battery?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Charge it with nothing more than a 10 amp charger. Being a deep cycle, it will take a long time to build up.

From what I've been told, A deep cycle needs drained a few times and charged each time to reach it's full potential.

Don't let any battery set with a drained charge for any length of time.

If you've got one that requires that you check the water level and add as needed, always use distilled water

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Here's a copy and paste from the Interstate Battery web site that should help.

What's the best way to charge deep cycle batteries? The maximum charger rate in amps should be 20% of the amp hour rating of the battery.

Normally, deep cycle batteries do not require special charging procedures. However, we recommended that you use a charger designed specifically for deep cycle batteries. It is best to slow charge all batteries, especially deep cycle. The 20% rule should be used when charging a deep cycle battery. That means to choose a charger where the maximum current (in amps) is less than 20% of the Ah rating. For example, an Interstate SRM-27 is rated at approximately 100 Ah, so a 20-amp charger should be the maximum. Also, it is best to use a charger that is adequate to recharge the battery within 10-12 hours (see next question).

How long should I charge my battery and at what current? Generally, we recommend that you use a low amp charge, i.e. as low as the battery will accept, over a longer period of time. A 10-20 amp charger can charge most automotive batteries. Fully charging a completely discharged automotive battery, for example, with a 10-amp charger may take approximately 6-10 hours at a temperature of 80°F. Lower ambient temperatures require a longer charge time.

Some chargers automatically adjust the current and length of charge according to the battery's state of charge and then shut off when the battery is fully charged. If the charger requires manual adjustment for current or shut-off, check the charger's instructions to determine the proper current and length of charge based on your battery's rating.

What will happen if I don't charge my battery properly? The two extremes of improper battery charging are under charging and over charging.

Under charging results from a failure to allow the charger to charge long enough to restore the battery to full state of charge. Continually operating the battery in a partial state of charge or storing the battery in a discharged state will result in a condition known as sulfation. Sulfation reduces the battery's performance and may cause premature battery failure.

Over charging causes accelerated corrosion of the positive plates, excessive water consumption, and in some cases, damaging temperatures within a lead acid battery. Deep cycle batteries should be charged after each discharge and/or after storage of 30 days or more. We recommend that a deep cycle battery not be discharged below a 50% state of charge. Recharging a severely discharged battery (below 50% state of charge) can result in the battery becoming overheated or overcharged.

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I used to charge my batteries like you said Bob. Then I saw a show by Hank parker and Jimmy Houston and they said to charge the newer batteries of today @ 30 to 40 amps. They also said not to let the new deep cycle batteries discharge much below 50%. Before watching that show I was doing just like you said and buying new batteries every 1 to 1-1/2 years. I've been doing like they said and am in the THIRD year on my trolling battery. It is still strong. One of the overlooked factors in battery life is the water level. Keep it up where the mfg. recommends. I know this probably will bring on a host of different ideas on this subject. I was just sharing my own personal experience.
    Folks don't like change.

whatever it takes

Cheez

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Cheez, thanks for getting me to look around.

Here's an informative site on deep cycle batteries;
    http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Battery Charging

Your right about people not wanting to change old ways. I know some that still believe you shouldn't set batteries on concrete. I've seen proof that it has no effect on the late model batteries.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm still getting used to this new site.

I didn't mean to ignore the added information from Grumpy. Thanks to you also for helping out here.

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Yeah Bobpaul, after reading that post from Grumpy I found out I was doin it right and didn't even know it . My trolling battery is a 200 amp/hour battery and I been charging @ 40 amps. Just right. Thanks Grumpy.
    Most of the time I charge my batteries on the concrete floor in my shop
    Ain't never hurt em

whatever it takes

Cheez

8. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    thanks for the info guys. my charger has 2,35 and 80 amp with a deep cycle setting. i tried the 2 amp setting overnight and the digital meter only showed 12.45 volts so the next time i used the 35 amp for 4hrs and got 12.65v wich i read on the old site is full charge. after seting overnight drops to 12.55v so i think i'm in good shape?

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Bobpaul that battery university site is some technical stuff. After reading it I feel like I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Good stuff man, I never knew that full charge was 12.65 volts. I just always thought anything over 12 volts was good. Boy was I wrong. I have checked batteries with my Fluke meters and thought they were good and wondered why they only lasted a couple hours on the trolling motor.
    Good chatting with you yesterday brother. Look forward to meeting you someday.

whatever it takes

Cheez