trolling bar

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well folks, I'm tired of bending over my gas cans to reach my rear rods. I'm going to fabricate a trolling bar to accommodate 5 rods across the rear. Also, I will still have three rod holders on each side of the boat. I'm going to rig it up where the rods are just over waist high, for easy access and comfort. I'm going to construct the "legs" out of one inch steel tubing, and then saddle the top of the tubing to accept a one inch steel pipe that will serve as the rod holder support. I will put one brace on each side angling towards the rear, for support. The legs will have "feet" made of one inch flat bar, to be bolted to my square aluminum top rail. I will then have the whole bolt on assembly powder coated for durability. I will document the process with photos. I hope to start gathering materials very soon.
    Bill in SC

2. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Sounds like a cool project, Bill. Please, keep us informed. The whole thing about it is, you'll probably be able to fab it up cheaper than you could buy it. Very interesting, brother Bill. Best of luck to you with it. :cool2:

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Hey Bill it sounds a lot like what I did. Except I called my brother who has a CNC shop and presto!!! :eek:oooh::wink:
    I'll post a pic I took a week or so back down on Moultrie. After Looking at the pics I added a few more. It's hard to see in the one I thought would show it. Look back at the pics from the Moultrie trip it shows it in some of them also. Besides it may help tempt ya into a yes.................??:eek:oooh:
    Ready for Mon.???:wink:

Attached Files:

4. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    hey sunbird.. that setup is sweet!!!! very nice pics!!!!

5. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PLAN BILL-LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES! MIGHT WANT A SETUP THAT WAY!!

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    You just like the Gamecock on the console!:eek:oooh: Me too!!!:wink:

Thanks!!:roll_eyes:

7. Carolina Cat Crew

Carolina Cat Crew New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Heya Bill, sounds like what I have been wanting to do. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out real nice.

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I built one on my boat and I think there is an article in the library somewhere about it. I haven't looked for it in a while, but it used to be there.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    TROLLING BAR

Sounds like a place I used to go to when I was single to pick up chicks......:smile2: