Trolling a Sabiki rig

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by deepwoods, Aug 24, 2008.

1. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    I just saw an interesting article in NC Sportsman Mag. It was about trolling a Sabiki rig for Crappie. The lady in the article would put minnows on the rig a troll it. She reported catching cats, crappie and bass. I use the rigs but but I jig them. This sounds like an idea I might try with set that has bigger hooks.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jeff, I have been hanging a Sabiki Rig over the side of the boat while drifting for catfish over a year now and I have caught plenty of small catfish, bream, crappie, bass, small stripers, white perch and a 14 pound carp with this technique. Good way to catch some fresh bait and have fun while you are waiting for the bigger cats to strike your catfish rigs.

3. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have never tried it but I will next time I go. Do you ever catch gizzard shad with them?

4. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I have caught gizzard shad and threadfins on them. Few and far between though. There's a couple striper fishermen at Kerr Lake who claim to regularly catch their shad on sabikis, in the summer and at night. They say, they anchor off over a shoal of bait, put a hydroglo light in the water, wait for the shad to appear, and then jig a sabiki rig and catch all they want. They also sit in that same spot all night and catch a limit of rockfish, so they say.

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I have put 1/2 oz bell sinkers on the bottom of two sabiki's and slow trolled in and out of coves and creek channels and caught tons of crappie and perch.The biggest crappie that iv'e every caught was using this technique . I always drag a sabiki when driffting fishing for cats . I usally put small pieces of cut shad on my sabiki's also.

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Good idea and I'll try it. Welcome to the hood David. Lots of fine people here.

7. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What color and hook size sabiki rigs do you guys use? Gonna give them a try but want to be sure and get the right ones!

8. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I use them and lose them so often that i'll buy any of them when I can find them .I do perfer the bleeding bait brand sabiki with the red hooks .

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    It appears that the most popular hook size for the Sabiki Rig is the no. 6 according to Gander Mtn. and Bass Pro. The other choice for me would be the no. 4. Color to me, does not matter.

10. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks....going to Gander Mtn today!

11. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When you guys drift sabeiky rigs while catfishing how deep do you have it ?

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I use a 3/4 oz. slinky weigh on my rig and bounce it off the bottom as I'm drifting. You can use almost any kind of weigh to hold it down.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just curious. If you're trolling sabiki rigs with minnows, are the fish after the jig, the minnow, or both? Has anybody ever tried trolling a sabiki rig with minnows on one side of the boat and a plain multihook rig with minnows on the other? I know that I've had people tell me that they caught bream on jigs tipped with something or other, and I generally seemed to do just as well using a plain hook baited with the same thing.

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Jerry, I do not use bait on my Sabiki Rigs, you can, but I have not found the need too. My hooks are gold and they have some real small plastic wings on them and one or two orange or red beads.

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I haven't tried using them for cats because the ones I find here, the line has to small Lb test on them.

I drop them 18-22 feet and rake in the perch, bream, anything really. I used a tiny worm on them last week, off the bank, and caught 4 tiny cats on them.

Color don't matter much but if they fade enough I keep a permanent magic marker with me and just re-color the plastic feather.

On the boat I just use a 3/4 weight at the bottom and set it in the rod holder. Usually the waves jig it enough to get strikes.

I like the slinky idea but here on Hartwell we have to many trees down there to do it. I would much rather make my own 3 hook line sabiki with heavier line on it. Even then I would be snagged left and right.

If I want hickory shad I put a spunky threadfin on the bottom hook and they absoulty freak out on the rig. Plus the threadfin does all the moving work for ya ; )

-Jim-

16. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    now this is a post....useful info.........i have never used the storebought rigs in freshwater but when i used to fish santee we caught bait(white perch) on rigs we made up of just plain old gold small hooks....no bait......you could catch all the perch you needed on bare hooks....mack

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For those who can't find a sabiki rig exactly like they want, they can always make their own. Not only can they use crappie jigs, but most well stocked fishing departments will carry jigs that look exactly like the jigs found on a sabiki rig.