Trollin Motor

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by retailredneck, Jan 22, 2006.

1. retailredneck

retailredneck New Member

State:
    Richmond Va
    I brought a used joh boat with life vest,oars,battery.and trolling motor a 25lb thrust multy speed one ,the boat is a 14ft er well I didnt think to ask at the time but the trollin motor doesnt work,my question is is there anywhere I can take it to be fixed or shoud I just buy a new one and chalk it up to not paying attendtion to details ? the guy I brought it from said it worked last time he had it out and that was just a month ago.by the way I paid $325 for it all.

2. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Rod,

What brand of motor is it?

It could be a simple / cheap fix.

Mike

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it has the alligator clips on it ck those they are world famous for going south when left set up and not using.

I always (sorder)< sp> mine on to the wires.

4. catfishredneck

catfishredneck New Member

State:
    Timpson texas
    you can to the boat repair thread and ask bobpaul. if you know whats it doing. you can take the housing off and find the wires going to where on off switch or speed switch and use a volt meter to see if it getting juice that would my guess, depending on how old it is some of those like corrode and go out. but if you have the money buy a new one that way you it good and nothing else can go wrong and leave you stranded paddling back to shore.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We are asuming that the battery is charged? One other thing to check, can the prop be turned by hand without much resistance. Not hooked to battery of course.
    If it's a minnkota, parts can be ordered direct from factory, don't know about other brands.

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I had a trolling motor lock up on me several years ago. I took it apart and it must have been leaking inside the motor and it had rusted. I cleaned all the rust out and all the chips from the magnets and it worked great after that. Just a thought you might want to check.

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i would also consider a few facts first approximate age of the trolling motor if it is just a transom mount at 25 pounds of thrust it was very expensive to begine with you can pick up 45+ pounds of thrust pretty cheaply brand new. if it was a bown mount like on my bass boat id sure look into repairs since it cost 1k new but most of them transom mount jobs can be had under 100 dollars.

8. retailredneck

retailredneck New Member

State:
    Richmond Va
    I tried to spin the prop ,it spun easy, I checked the gator clips all clean and tight,hooked it to the truck battery which has power the truck runs lol no action on the motor.its a minn,model should I try taking the cover off and looking for bad wires or what? thanks to all who gave advice it is really needed here

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Take the cover off and you'll see a rheostat or switch.
    With a DC capable multi meter you can check to see if voltage is leaving the switch going to the motor.