Trollers: Cable or electric control pedals

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Hannibal Mike, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I am looking at getting a new trol motor and like the idea of the minnkota petal that has a 20' cord that allows me to control the motor from the back of the boat. This seems safer for me on the Mississippi than standing up on the bow in big river current. A friend said that the electric foot controls have more problems that the traditional cable systems where you sit up on the bow. What do you think brothers? Hannibal Mike

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    HM I bought one of those back in the mid 90s when they first came out and it was still operational when I sold my little bass boat last year.Never had a minutes problem with it but I take care of my stuff.It was great to sit in the drivers seat and operate the trolling motor.It was also very safe in bad weather when the water gets rough, as you can step down off the bow deck into the safer portion of the boat and not have to worry about being thrown off the deck by a big wave.My son got a kick out of it by operating it from the back deck so he could get first crack at the untouched water.All you need to do is make sure you don't kink the cable or slam it in a hatch etc.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What about the wireless remote controlled trolling motors?

I see them now with a little clicker to hang on your belt and you can control it from anywhere in the boat, no cables required.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I have a wireless one i will put back on my bass boat when i get around to it had no issues with it at all the wired ones work great and so do the cabled ones. take care of them they last for a very long time.

5. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Thanks for the info! I bought a 20' jon with a motorcraft trol and remote control system, but it never worked for me. When I called a couple of shops, they said that the repair often runs up enough, so that most people just get new systems. I understand their opinion might be for a new sale or avoiding a repair attempt that fails. Anyone have any suggestions about motorcraft repair options near Hannibal MO? I am leaning toward the new minnkota, but hate to waste an existing system that could be repaired. Hannibal Mike

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Mike have used, all three cordless corded and cable, cordeless had problems,
    corded nice by being anywhere in boat, more to tangle, cable, Ilike because , get a 6th sence of where the motor is pointed by feel in foot control. dont have to watch, cord I cant tell what or how far its turning, have to look at motor, when turning , have corded, will buy cable next time.
    Just me.

7. jkirkpatrick

jkirkpatrick New Member

I have 3 trolling motors, 2 Minn-Kota corded 1 Motor Guide cable. Both have pros and cons. With the cable you can get a feel for the direction of the motor by the position of the pedal, as was mentioned earlier, also you can make very quick adjustments with the cable model. The quicker you press the peadl the faster the motor turns. The corded model (or at least Mine) only has one speed for turning, but placement of the controls inside the boat is limited only by the 20' cord. I often sit in the driver seat of my pontoon and control the boat while others sit up front and fish in the front seats. Also have the wife sit in the back of the catfish boat and she can use her hands to operate the trolling motor with the "pedal" on her lap. She usually does this while I am up front setting out trotlines. Its a wonderful thing.