Triton Camo Duck Boats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by NCCatter, May 2, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Alright guys, I posted a thread a few weeks ago about War Eagle boats. Alot of you responded with your input and it was really appreciated. I looked at an 18' that a man in Laurinburg has and loved it. But the only thing keeping me from getting one right now is the money! LOL (I think that's the only reason alot of us don't have the boat of our dreams.) So I been looking at Triton Camo boats because I went fishing with a friend Sunday that has a 17' and I liked that boat as far as room goes. I assume that because Triton boats are not as customizable, they won't be as expensive as War Eagle. Plus I can probably get a 17' Triton for the same price as I could get a 16' War Eagle. Any opinions on Triton Duck boats. I know they are primarily for duck hunters but alot of models come with livewells and other fishing accessories. Thanks in advance!!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Triton is ridiculously proud of their boats. Haven't compared them to War Eagle, but I doubt they're any cheaper.

I looked at the Triton boats a few months ago and wasn't impressed. But the dealer was a royal jacka$$ so my opinion was probably affected.

If money is an issue, consider G3 Gator Tough Jon or Tracker Grizzly or Lowe Roughneck - all 3 are pretty much the same.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have a 2005 DSSC 170 Triton duck boat with a 75hp Merc four stroke, livewell, bow storage, rod/gun box, Lowrance X-52 depthfinder, Guages. Bow Mount minkota trolling motor w 55lbs thrust, Laser II stainless prop w/22p, extra pedistal seat and extra regular seat, Galvanized trailer. I was out the door after taxes and tags, and registration for 15,646 or so, I put 2K down so payments arent bad at all. I really like the boat, the only thing about it is that heavy motor, when I got the boat they had to raise the motor up a little bit because the boat would porpoise and chinewalk. After they raised the motor it still did it some, so I put a nice hydrofoil on it and now its awesome. They are great boats, very sturdy, with more floatation foam than any boat I have ever seen. It has non-skid all over the boat so it makes it very nice to walk in, and all the foam cuts down on the noise transferred to the water. You can customise them some, but you have to go to a dealer and order from the factory what you want. If I would have known that I would have got a storage bin under the driver and passenger seats. But the ones with that dont have bow storage that I know of, I am sure if you sat down and ordered exactly what you want you will get it. You are welcome to come and ride in mine, if you live near new bern, I might go out thursday night, and this weekend if it doesnt rain. The top speed in mine, with just me in it is around 44mph and with 7-800 pounds of gear and people not including the motor it will run about 39-40. If you want to keep it light go with like a yamaha 90, 2 stroke or something like that, but I will take the extra weight and have the quietness and no smoke burning my eyes. Plus I only have to change the oil every 100hrs, so it should cut costs. I was going to put an optimax 90 on it but it was the same price of the 75 four stroke and it weighs almost the same. My friend has a 860 War Eagle, and IMHO the boat is sub-par to Tritons new all welded boats, and War eWagles service is terrible. He had a 2003 which was a welded/riveted boat so maybe their new ones are better, but after 1 season of heavy hunting the rivets were falling out and the center console became loose, and the throttle cables were binding, maybe he got a bad apple, who knows. Well good luck with your purchase.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Jason

Better check with Mercury to be sure, but I've been told by more than 1 dealer than adding a hydrofoil to your outboard will void the manufacturer's warranty on the motor.

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jason,
    I currently have a 14' boat and it will seat 2 comfortably. However, I want a bigger boat to accomodate 3 people occasionally. Also even if I don't have 3 people, I want a bigger boat for storage and floor space as well. How is your 17' as far as space and manueverability? Can you fish 3 comfortably? I would like to go fishing with you sometime, but New Bern is a long way from Rowland (2 miles north of South of the Border on I95). When you coming over this way?

6. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I am not try to tell you what to do, but I would check out SeaArk before you buy any thing. there jon boat are pretty cheap in cost for what you get I like there boats because they offer a short boat with a wide beam like the 1660 witch is 16ft long 60in bottom and the 1872 18ft 72in bottom and I think they are the toughest boats on the market.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The only thing mercury wont cover after installing one is damage caused by the hydrofoil, IMHO without the hydrfoil on my boat it would have caused a lot more damage if I didnt put it on, they just wont cover a cavitation plate failure or something that the foil caused to break which I doubt nothing, thousands of boats run them with no problems.

8. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    my vote goes to g3,we have a 1860 cc with a 90 hp yamaha,one sweet rig.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    There are a lot of nice boats out there, just go looking around and pick out which one is best for you. My Triton has a lot of bow storage and storage in the rod/gun box, for a 17' it has a lot of storage. I have had 5 people in the boat and fished, 3 is pretty comfortable.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    AS you know I have 2 war-eagles. But if I were looking again. i would also look at Sea-Ark. They now have a 1860 that has a 15degree hull. so you could get a great boat and a great ride.
    i do know that if the guy has bought my 17ft the other day that is the boat I would have been looking at.
    My 17 ft boat is 17' 7" long but only 54" in the bottom. And has the 12 degree hull.
    Sure wish it was a 1860 Sea-ark and the 15 degree hull.
    Pete

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I should have gone and looked at the Sea Arks too, the only reason I didnt is that I heard they use a lot of plastic in the transom area. I guess it must be strong enough if the Coast Guard approves it, but what about over a long period of time, will it get brittle? Overall I am very happy with the Triton, it has a 70" bottom and a 78" beam so its pretty stable. Not sure what the degree of the hull is, but is rides very nice now that I have it dialed in.