trippys pond experiments

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by trippyclwn, Sep 4, 2005.

1. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    hey guys im going to start experimenting with new types of bait at the pond so i can let you know if they will work.
    my newest find is primrose hot sausage in the glass bottles i tried them for about 2 hours and kept getting bites from them but they come off the hook to easily so i didnt bring anything in on em but they were interested in them!
    just trying to help and until next time have fun fishing!

2. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Hey Trippy. Keep me posted on new baits. You would be surprised at what these cats will hit. About those sausages, maybe you could thread them on, do you think that would help? Keep me posted.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Its great when u try new baits out. it let u know what works and dont works,

4. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    lilryjoe good idea using the thread if i didnt have so many bream and blue gill in the pond i wouldnt really hafta worry lol but i'll try to catch a few tonight with the sausages tonight. i was wondering if vinegar was a good thing to use when curing but from what i can tell they dont mind the spicy twang of it lol

5. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

You makin' me hungry trippy!!! Penrose sausages are the mainstay of my diet dude. I know what I pay for a jar, so unless you work at the penrose plant(please say you do) why not buy a cheap pack of gut weiners and you could flavor them anyway you like. Maybe you could take your marinade injector and inject something into them? I dunno, I just cringe at the thought of impaling those tasty morsels of artery clogging goodness on a hook.

6. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    :sick-big: sorry man but these are the older stale kind now lol thats why i got em for 50 cents a jar lol and yes i tried em before using em for bait lol :sick-big: i wouldnt wanna try to inject regular hot dogs or anything it was a lot cheap[er this way lol unfortunately they didnt catch anything only a very few nibbles after about 2 hours so i guess it is back to the drawing board lol

7. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    ok i went this morning using the hog wild original and blood dip baits mixed together on a looper rig (these things rule!!!) and fished for a few hours.
    the first hour it was almost every 15 minutes i would get a bite! but didnt catch em cause they werent too hungry.
    after that i tried using some magic bait crawfish and chicken blood dough bait and caught a 2 and a half lber and had a lot of good bites after that so i guess this morning they liked the dough better.
    but i'll try to go fishing with the other types of dough bait and i might try mixing them up too a 6/0 hook will hold 3 little dough balls on it so i might try all three kinds with it and see what happens but i'll keep you posted guys!

8. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Come on Trippy! You have to get crazy :eek: . Try soaking dead blue gills in garlic salt or something :confused: and then cutting them in half? Could be the magic bait. You never know. I don't know if you have ever used bass for bait,but I've heard of people bringing in some hogs on them. Good Luck Trippy!!

:cool:

9. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    first one was curing liver with the lemon pepper mixture plus garlic salt andd regular salt. got the same results as regular curing but it kept the bluegill away a little better lol

second was curing liver with garlic salt/salt/and cajun seasoning they liked it a little more than the lemon pepper but neither were a sure thing lol somebody posted about making ice cube type cured livers and that way it was like chum and bait all at once but i havent tried it yet havent had time to think lately but i'll definately try as soon as i can and post the results for you here.

and joe i will hafta see if there are any bluegill big enough to "spice up" to try as bait my stepbrother took it on himself to start fishing at my pond and i have been noticing not as many fish are in it now so its about time to kick him back to his own house! lol

10. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    My favorite bait is old leftovers. Meat, biscuits, anything that is edible. My dad use to spray things with wd40 and it always caught cats I dought tha tis good for them though or hell might not hurt a thing. They like oily

11. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Ya know, I've heard of people using WD40 on night crawlers and tearin the channels up, but I've never tried it before. Yah Trippy, you might have to kick him off if he keeps on keepin your fish.lol How's fishin been lately guys? I have been catchin decent sized channels 5-8 pounders nothin impressive but at least I'm catchin a couple :rolleyes: Anyways, Good Luck Fishin Fellas!!

12. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    joe i have been trying everything to get out there and fish lately but everytime i try to something comes up and im back to square one lol i cant wait till i get some time to sit out and hook a few man lol i hope i can actually catch a few of em next time i go lol i have definately been patient enough with my situation thats for sure lol

joe i did get a chance to try some bacon down at nickajack a couple of weeks ago lol i didnt catch anything there but it might have worked at the pond fighting currents at the "jack" proved too much for the lowly bacon lol it was lost at sea and without a bite lol :crying:

13. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    well yall im about to try another one of those experiments as soon as i get a few hours to myself lol this time i will be using rusty's shad sides(cut shad in a bag) BUT!!!! i will be trying them with a little cured garlic liver juice to see what happens hopefully it will bring the shad back to life for the fish lol and i bought them at k-mart for 1.05$ lol they were marked down from 3.99$ so i thought what could it hurt? lol

plus! i will be trying the eagle claw nitro biscuits at the pond too it worked for a fishing guru on tv so why not for me at the pond? lol ill try to get down to the pond soon enough hopefully tommorrow night ill get that chance and will see what happens with these two baits. if anything ill be saving you the trouble and money behind it lol

14. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    Hey Trippy, I heard a guy saying he tore up some channels in a pond, by soakin different types of cut bait fish in soy and worcestershire sauces, u want to try it out for me? ;)

15. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    thats a good idea skippy ill soak the used-to-be shad in it over night and try it tommorrow morning after i take the kids to school .
    i finally get a little time to myself tommorrow to try some experiments down there lol ill try the regular shad sides then the mixture and post the results tommorrow. thanks again for the tip man!

16. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    It might also work in doughballs maybe, just a thought.

17. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    i was going to try to use the shad pieces with the worcestershire sauce and soy but half of the pack was dried up and wouldnt stay on the hook very long.
    i only got hits off of the regular shad pieces but it was still kinda juicy lol so the test was kinda flawed but i was also using them against turbines too so that didnt help
    i also used the nitro biscuits from eagle claw at the dam and got a few small bites but nothing worthwhile i am going in a few minutes down to the pond to try em out down there so ill post those results later tonight or tommorrow.
    thanks for the ideas guys!

18. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Hey trippy. This reminds me of being a kid and my Dad would let me mix up anything and everything in the house and try new new homemade baits for channels and carp, I couldn't wait to get down on the river and try them out. Half the fun of fishing is preparing for fishing. I had some pretty wild doughballs, the trick was getting them to stay on the hook, I see alot of rigs now to keep baits on the hook that would have helped me back then. I think this is how alot of oldtimers find their bait of choice and won't leave home without it. Good luck finding your magic bait but don't get too carried away and use the bait Hank Hill used. :D Abu

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    abu my dad would mix anything and everything in the refrigerator and make dinner with it - LOL...mom used to so disgusted with him...he came up with more ways to throw good food away :D

i am from shawnee also :)

20. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I was watching the outdoor life channel and there was a guy that would buy the herring soaked in oil, mix it with that powered cheese that comes with mac & cheese, then throw in a bunch of garlic salt. He would let it sit for a day or two then head out to the pond or lake. I can't remember who it was but he swore by it.

I've never tried it, I always fish the river and don't know how it would hold up in that heavy current.