Tripod Rod Holder

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by RebelMan, Mar 12, 2007.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Has anyone used the tripod rod holder you can purchase at cabelas? I'm interested in buying it. I just want to make sure its not crap. thanks -rebelman

Attached Files:

2. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Rebelman, It looks to me like it would be easy to tip it over if it wasn't anchored somehow. It wouldn't take much of a bite to pull it over. It might be useful if you fished an area where it would be impossible to drive a stake into the ground. Just my two cents... I've never used one like it.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Take it from a photographer.... it will tip over....got to be carefull with a camera on it, and a pole?????? no way man..... drive something in the dirt and go with that Idea...... you might loose your fishing pole with a big cat....

bayrunner ray

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    fellows for sand,gravel or soft soil you cant beat plain old pvc pipe.been useing it for yrs. and have yet to lose a pole.i even use it in the rocks below the damns when fishing from the bank.johnnie

5. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Gilmafam -- I was also drawing from my 35+ years of experience as a photographer. I think I've tipped over a camera a time or two in that time.

6. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I messed around with making something similar a couple of years ago. My solution for the "top heavy" problem was to tie a 5gallon bucket of water under the center of it. Use as a livewell of sorts, either for bait, or for Mr Whiskers when he makes an appearance. I abandonded the idea after deciding that I'd just be carrying too much crap around to make it work. $1.35 rod holder at Wally World or a forked stick works plenty good enough for me.

Jon

7. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    That one there has legs that ajust out and stab into the ground and that helps a little bit but i used one and had to put a 5 gal bucket under it and tie a rope to it and the bait bucket to hold it down. I went to using Rod Pods they are alot better.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bank fish the Mississippi and I would be a little worried about that tri-pod because the first time a big blue or big carp hits it on the run, I doubt the unit would remain in an upright position. Rebar, pvc pipe and hose clamps make real nice and secure rod holders. Good luck

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah id just check the library on here and make some from rebar and pvc its cheaper but stronger and may last longer and save the loss of a good rig