Triple Seven Powder

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by calogan, Dec 3, 2009.

1. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been hunting black powder for a few years now, and have been using Triple Seven Pellets. The problem is that after one or two shots, the barrel is so fouled that I can't fully seat the next bullet and have to clean out the barrel with a wet patch. Anyone have these problems or know how to fix it? I like the powder otherwise because its so easy to clean the gun afterward.

Thanks!

2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    aim better:big_smile:

3. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I have always pulled the breach plug after the shot and cleaned the barrel even when I'm hunting. I figure that if I only have one shot I'm going to have a clean barrel. It can't hurt.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    777 is good stuff but is dirty. Don't know how to get around that. I used to spit on a patch and run it down the bore between shots. Two years ago I switched to Blackhorn 209. It shoots great, smokes like crazy and easy to clean up and never did clean between shots on the range. I put a new scope on my Encore this year and it took me close to 20 shots to get it dialed in right and difficult loading between shots and accuracy from not cleaning never raised its head. Also and this might be the biggy. I use powerbelts and they are just plain easy to load in my encore. I shoot the 245 grain hollow points and they do a double whammy on deer.:big_smile:

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hodgdon Pyrodex pellets for 50cal inlines 2 in 50 grain, I get about 6 shots then pull the breach plug and just brush out with a bore brush followed by a bore butter patch and a few dry patches and go back to shooting. I found my 50cal holds better groups after the first shot and a slightly fouled bore. I use power belt bullets 145 grain balistic tips. Never have a problem loading em untill about shot no 8. So I clean a lil after every 6 shots.

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Change to Blackhorn 209 or patch between shots. You can use spit patches or I know a lot of people that use disposable alocohol wipes. Get a T/C Power Rod (the solid one) with the folding T-grip. It'll seat the most stubborn bullets out there.

You can try a different primer too, sometimes that will reduce the crud ring build-up

Last resort, you can get a Savage 10ML. Use smokeless powder, no cleaning, no fuss. Of course, it's a bit more expensive of an option. :wink:

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Kid, I don't think ya have a problem. My Omega came with an "instructional" video, really cool.
    I think the fellas name was Greg and he works for T/C, and hunts all over the world. His method was to wet patch, dry patch between every shot. At the range, or hunting.
    I "snack" pack, (the lil baggies) some wet patches in my possibles bag, and just run a wet one, then a dry one, and I don't have any trouble using the saboted bullets that are so effective. It's a lil hassle if yer excited and it's cold; hard to do with gloves on. But it really keeps clean up to a minimum.
    :big_smile:

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    this is the first year i used trip 7 pellets. when i started sighting in before the season i had the same problem with them fouling the barrel bad. i swithed my 209 primers to triple 7 primers and don't have the problem nearly as bad. i don't know if they burn hotter or what but it did make a difference in my CVA. also helped a buddy with a t/c encore. by the way i shoot 270 gr platnum powerbelts, the don't leave the plastic residue like sabots and shoot great.

9. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The 777 primers and other BP specific 209 primers actually don't burn as hot/fast as regular 209 shotshell primers. Many times, the regular shotgun primers are so powerful that they actually make the powder charge/sabot/bullet start to move forward before powder ignites. There's just not enough resistance with sabots/lead bullets/powder charges to keep from moving in many guns. That's where the crud ring comes from...it's where the powder actually starts to burn upon ignition.

Blackpowder and it's substitues don't burn completely and thats what the fouling in the barrel is.

Plastic residue can be removed a couple of different ways.

You can use Remington Bore Cleaner in the plastic bottle, it's got a mild vegetable matter abrasive in a light oil base, and it won't harm or abrade the barrel. Use a tight patch and swab the bore repeatedly, changing patches. Brownells also has a product called JB Bore Cleaner that's a little more aggressive in a thicker paste base that's really good.

You can use the various plastic removers designed to remove the residue in shotgun barrels from using plastic wads. They don't harm barrels either. Acetone can be used too, but don't leave it in the barrel, be sure to swab it out and then oil the bore. Swab the bore then use a brush to loosen up the residue and swab it out with tight fitting patches.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Boots, what kind of "wet patch" are you talking about. If you use water, won't it affect the powder or get into the primer hole? Luckily I don't seem to have a fouling problem. I always shoot at least one shot pre season to foul the barrel, and don't clean my gun until the season is over. If I empty the gun on a deer in the evening, I will run a brush through it before loading again for the next hunt. The powerbelts load easily. This year, I shot 5 shots sighting in, shot 4 deer and a turkey, and missed 1 turkey. That's 11 shots and it still loaded easily. Mine is the stainless Ruger, would that make a difference?

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    245 grain powerbelts lol I seen I put 145 on my post. Yea I agree with flathead wille the powerbelts load smooth and fly good. I use just plain pyrodex pellets with winchester 209 primers and have very few problems. Buddy turned me onto boor butter last year the stuff is messy but awsome once ya get the cured bore they talk about. I found my barrel fouling was cut in half.