trip to the Great Miami River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by katkiller77, May 5, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those are very nice. thanks for sharing

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    my friend no problem it was nice getting them snapper loves chicken livers.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice turtles. I was out on the GMR in a canoe yesterday, did pretty well. I got about 7 channels biggest being about 8LB and smallest being about ... 5 inches long :) My buddy caught a few channels, three drum and a striper.

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i am going to try again tomorrow with nightcrawlers on the gmr

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those were working well yesterday. Also frozen shrimp was hot.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    sweet chicken livers work but the turtles were killing the liver :eek:oooh:

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Rick .... a little enlightenment here .... those aren't snapping turtles those are soft shell turtles .... but also very good eating ..... :eek:oooh: Garry-

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yup, those are the dreaded "Dinkbuster" specials...Softshells, the GMR around Middletown-Dayton is choked full of em. There are snappers in there, we get a handfull every year fishing cut shad, they really like that as well

Salmonid

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its always good to get out.....goodluck to you...rollo

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've eat'n snapping turtles before and they are pretty good eating. I don't think I could get past the smell to eat a softshell...man do they stink!

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    going out to get me a casting net and practice easier than using the minnow trap also to get the forage fish out the gmr will help me get more bigger shovelheads as well.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    At least you got out and not totally skunked. Jeremy(cats4uandme) has some excellent cleaning and cooking of turtles on here. Makes my mouth water.....:dribble:

14. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would rather have turtles biting than nothing at all! which leads to my first fish story!

I went down to the scioto river with high hopes back in march, eager to get off this computer and back out into nature. I started out with nightcrawlers and soon I had several drum (I call em sheephead) in the bait bucket. Once it got dark it was time to switch bait. I took the machete and wacked the largest right in half .. took the head half and hooked it up, tossed it in the river!

I didnt really expect anything to bite on it... it was a 1 lb head half of a fish after all. But after several hours, several beers and several naps LOL I woke up to see the line this was baited on free-spooling out into the river! Very slowly however! I assumed right away it must be a turtle due to the slow rate at which line was being taken.

However! This was still very exciting because I knew my bait weighed 1 lb and WTF could be trying to carry that off!? I missed the hook up but I'm pretty sure if I had set the hook I'd have never budged that turtle from the bottom anyway. But it made the otherwise biteless night enjoyable.

Is it illegal to fish with a chain-fall? LOL I think that'd be the only way I could have banked that turtle!

15. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Roger ... we always put our turtle in a tub with clean water for a couple of days and the smell leaves pretty well ... actually, I believe softshells are better eating than the old snapper .... Garry-:cool2:

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Gary turtle is really good fix it in a gumbo mouth watering very good stuff rick i also had it deep friend yummy