Trip to the Conservation Office

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Michael Jake, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Went to the Conservation office today for some information and was given a renewed perspective on our waters here. After sharing about so many of us doing catch and release, I was puzzled by a question and comment. She asked if I or any that I know of have caught any tagged fish, my response was no and that I did post that question to the platform where only a couple from the KC area did. She was very surprised and said she received only 2 back last year and none this year. That to me says we just barely touch the surface of our potential here and even more confirms my belief in many record fish roaming our waters. That kind of update left her more puzzled than before, but to me just ignited the motivation even more.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Gee, thanks a lot Michael. :wink:Now I am chomping at the bit, realizing the untapped resource we have in our rivers. Maybe we aren't even scratching the surface.

Now I am convinced again that I had a real humdinger break off my driftmaster this summer.

Ahhhh...... the fantasies of an idle mind.:003:

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just curious how many were tagged and released did they say?

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm with you Darryl! I know I had a MONSTER when I went fishing on Halloween this year! If only I could have kept him from diving into the damn rock dyke! :angry:

That is sounds very promising Mike! Thanks for the report! Winter isn't even here and I wish it was summer already!!! I can't wait to get back out there! I just need to cruise down to the KAN-TUK-YEE area for the skips!

Are back home yet Darryl?

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I recieved a phone call about a month ago from Dave Herzog , a resource scientist for the MDC, about the lake sturgeon that I had caught. It actually turned into a long conversation, I was on the phone with him for at least an hour. Anyway, he had some good things to say about the state wanting to protect our river fisheries. He mentioned that there has been several meetings about possible limits on catfish, but he said the only people that ever show up are commercial fisherman and trotliners. He said he would love to see input from the sport fisherman. He didn't say much about tagged catfish, but they have been tagging sturgeon. He said that some have been tagged down in the New Madrid area, and caught again up around the mouth of the Meramec River. That's a heck of a long way for a fish to travel up river! Anyway, he wanted to know if I could spread the word to contact the MDC if anyone caught a tagged sturegeon. I told him I would do so. :wink:

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    What is awesome Darryl is you know what it took to break it off… after all the analyzing and allowing for any defeats :confused2: it’s something you know that you know it took a lot to make it happen. :big_smile:

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for your efforts Mike. That is really good stuff. It is my hopes to have conservation officers at a couple of our meetings to update us with the Status of the Conservation Department, and what we can do to help them out. Thanks for posting your findings. We truly do have a great fishery, and its my intentions to protect it.

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    She got tied up with the phone so I wasn't able to pursue any numbers locally but do know of hundreds up both rivers from here.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Perhaps a couple of us could volunteer to go on a couple of their tagging missions. I KNOW i'd be interested. :smile2: Never know what lil honey hole they might find with those shockin sticks. :smile2: Kidding of course, but I'm betting it would be a great experience to go out with them, and help with the cause.

10. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    This last pre spawn period I put in one morning up at the fabius chute. Only vehicles and boat trailers in the parking lot was mine and two of the conservations. I knew they tag using two boats one to zap em and the other covering the perameter. I peaked around a little but never did find em. I was on a mission to catch some of those flatheads up there and did but none with tags and to top it off when I got back to the ramp they were gone those willey waskels.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I want to catch the cat that has been going around eating all those tagged fish!

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LOL. Only Kutter could think of that. LMAO

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Cuz, why not just ask your department of wildlife if you could accompany them on a trip when they do the shocking. They will allow anglers in Oklahoma to tag along. It's fascinating to watch. One thing which has me puzzled, it they tag the fish and then put them back in the river, what makes them think they are going to stay within their state boundaries. Last I heard, catfish were not illegal immigrants and did not require green cards. LOL

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LOL, that is true Lawrence. I'm pretty sure they arnt showing their passports at the borders either. :smile2: I do plan on trying to hitch a ride with them sometime. I think it would be a great learning experience.

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was talking to a MDC guy this year down at the Local landing for Keokuk, Iowa. He was tracking a lake sturgeon from down below St. Louis Mo. They are trying to figure out if the sturgeon is going to get past the Dam and keep going North. The guy was interesting, but he never mentioned tagged cats. Later Andy

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Not really breaking a 3/8" driftmaster is EASY!! Matter of fact it's too easy. I broke one just by putting a brand new catfish safari rod in it and bending the rod over 2 feet. Snap there goes the rod holder. Driftmaster admits the 3/8" holders are meant to bend but not break. I now have 1/2" driftmasters on the boat.

For that matter sorry Darryl I have seen 5 pound blues bend a rod over enough to break a driftmaster. :smile2:

17. catmandu1962

catmandu1962 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've yet to catch a tagged fish in the Sippi or anywheres. Ive also heard if you turn a tag in you get some amount of cash not sure if thats true or not just what I've heard.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    They have tagged fish here in Oklahoma, I believe at Kaw lake (on the Arkansas River system) and had the tag returned from people fishing at the mouth of the Mississippi. Think it was on a stripper, but may have been a blue. At any rate, those suckers sure do move around. To think, it traveled through Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana without being caught until it got to the mouth of the river. What are those odds?

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thats fine Josh but I saw the slam and the 50 lb leader snapped also, all of it in a split second.

Doesn't matter anyway, so calling it a 5 pounder doesn't offend me. Obviously you get a little satisfaction out of it though.:roll_eyes:

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've seen a rod broken in my Driftmaster's, but after 5 years haven't had any of my rod holders break...