Trip to Santee this Thurs. thru Sat.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ClintonRunner6, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ClintonRunner6

ClintonRunner6 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We are going to be staying at Blacks. Anyone got a good map of The canal and Lake Moultrie? One place we are planning on fishing is a huge stump bed where it is 3-4 ft on one side and drops to about 20 ft on the other. Does that sound like a good place. Any suggestions on places to try when fishing out of blacks? Thanks

Edit: Also is there anywhere around blacks to catch some bluegill or any other baitfish from the banks?

Brandon

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    "One place we are planning on fishing is a huge stump bed where it is 3-4 ft on one side and drops to about 20 ft on the other."

That sounds like a real good night time anchoring spot right there.I would try to get set up right before dark.The blues usually flood the shallows right before dark and on into the night.If you get lucky enough to pick the right spot, alot of the times you want be able to get all your rods out before you get a fish.

I'm sure the local Santee guys can give you some up to date places.

Good luck.

3. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We fished the canal last night and couldn't get on them-we ended up with 2 Blues in the high teens.The wind was blowing hard straight into the canal off Moultrie.we marked plenty of bait,just couldn't buy a bite.We pulled out around 1am this morning.

Attached Files:

4. ClintonRunner6

State:
    South Carolina
    Anyone have any information?

5. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    If you have a cast net, go up the canal from Blacks and go to where the powerplant runoff connects to the canal. Cast at the concrete wall. Threadfin shad is found here sometimes.
    Or, if you have some of those Sabiki bait rigs, try using one of those rigs with a 1oz sinker in the canal as it opens up into Moultrie. You'll see some posts on the edge of the canal. Look for the one that says "Rock". Perch are what usually bite this here. Fish out from there in the center of the canal. By the way try to anchor down upstream of it and drop the rigs down jigging.
    Good luck,
    Jonathan

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    When you get to Blacks talk to Kevin Davis the co owner and ask your questions.He is a wonderful person and also guides.He will give you the straight scoop as to where to go and whats biting where.:big_smile:

7. ClintonRunner6

State:
    South Carolina
    So if I talk to him he would tell me where they are catching them or will he try to get us to use his guide service? Our group is taking 2 boats down and we want to go try and catch some big ones without a guide.

8. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Try fishing the shallows in front of Blacks where it opens up to the big water at night-use the 30 min. rule & make short moves.Neds bait shop HAD gizzard shad this past weekend,but he said he was having trouble catching them-so they may be gone.

9. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Jimmy is right the 30 min. rule I think is the way go, if you keep moving you will run across them sooner or later.

10. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    If you can catch a little wind blowing towards the canal from moultrie those flats will be better in my opinion. Go out the mouth of the canal and turn hard left back towards the power plant and try anchoring all through that area. Should be 4 to 8 feet deep all through that area and sometimes you can luck up at night and tear up some big fish right in that area. Like everyone said though dont stay in one spot long, I would say 20 minutes is long enough to find out if they are there or not. Pull up your anchor and move a few hundred feet. Sometimes thats all it takes. Of course this only applies for night fishing though. I wouldnt try this in the daytime.

11. countryboy1616

countryboy1616 New Member

State:
    Darlington, S.C.
    Chris why do you say "do the moving trick at night but not during the day" ? I'm trying to learn as much as I can and kinda new to the catfish thing but so far I'm hooked ! !

Rohn

12. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    I just meant that I would not anchor in those areas in the daytime in the hot sun because the catfish are likely to be deeper in the daytime. They normally move shallower at night.

13. ClintonRunner6

State:
    South Carolina
    Well guys thanks for all the help. Will report once we get back Saturday. Leaving out bright and early...4 AM in the morning!!!