Trip to Rend Lake fishing

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Spills, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey guys, going to Rend this weekend, never been fishing out there, and I was just looking for a couple tips on places to go...bait...etc. Looks like a lot of people use garlic shrimp out there, is that the best bait for that lake? We're going to be camping at Wayne Fitzgerrell, and getting out on the boat. Is the depth of this lake going to be an issue since they have been running the pumps, are there area's we should stay away from?

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    hi jon, welcome to the BOC. yes, garlic shrimp has been working wonders for channel cats this year. personally, i prefer to use cut shad. you can usually get into some shad under the bridges with a cast net, cause thats the only spot with any current right now. If you've never really been there, i'd say to put in at the gun creek area, and try drifting near the 154 bridge with shrimp or cut shad. that would be east of wayne.
    the water is low, so watch for rocks and stumps. if your out there by 154 you should have nothing to worry about. i'd like to head out there this weekend but ill be in Wisconsin. good luck!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jon Welcome to the BOC. Its always good to see another Illinois member.

4. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks big muddy. I'll take it easy unless we're out by 154...I don't want to tear up my new boat.

5. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Muddy, is it ok on the north and south side of 154 for depth? I don't have a depth finder on the boat yet, but I wanted to open up my outboard to see how it runs, It would kill me to hit something.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    If you are camping at Wayne and launch the boat at that boat dock... make sure you stay close to the right side (if leaving the marina) and near the boatels and such. The left side where the land is, is super super shallow. Swing VERY wide. I bottom out and watched many people need to get jet skiis to pull them out!

North side of the lake is tree stump heaven... I still haven't really fished that area. For catting, I found luck finally at the little islands by Gun Creek. A bit of a jog if you launch out from Wayne's little launch at the campsites... but I always launch there and just drive it.

If you haven't already, I would recommend getting one of those Rend Lake maps that mark out terrain and such. It was sure helpful to me when trying to learn the lake... which I am also still learning it. Only been on it 4 times. :smile2:

7. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Brian. I'll definately pick up a map. I'll let you guys know how we do. I haven't heard of anyone pulling out anything massive out of Rend have you? Is there much in there over 10#'s that you've gotten into? To be honest I'm just looking to get some time out on the lake with some lines in the water, just curious what's in there.

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I know there are some flatties out there... some have posted some big flatties that they have hauled out of there. I suck at fishing, so I didn't catch anything that good. I been jugging the last time i went out there and was pulling in 4-8lbers out of there at night.

edit: And you can get the map at walmart.

9. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Jon, Good to have you aboard the BOC. I plan to be in the Gun Creek area Saturday morning if all goes as planned. The guys have given you good advice. I prefer to put in at the ramp which goes directly into Gun Creek. It isn't marked and therefore not many folks use it, but no worry there about shallow water to launch.

When you exit I 57 going east on 154, take the first right turn, across from the big golf ball tower, go about 100 yds. and turn left. This will take you back to the ramp. Again, it is not marked. If you go west from the ramp along 154 the area from the bridge north toward the island is good for drifting. Also the area of the north island for the highline tower and drifting east toward the I 57 rest area is always productive for me. Also, go under 154 then drift the point toward the main lake back toward 154. (this area is shallow if you get close to the shore, I stay out about 75 yds.

Bait of choice for me is shrimp soaked with garlic salt. I caught 15 last Friday using it, biggest being just over 5#. Small sinker on bottom with two hooks, one about 6" above the weight, the next another 4-6".

As for danger spots in Gun Creek. Getting close to shore means shallow water, Northwest of the 154 bridge is a shallow area (saw a nusiance boat bottom out there last week.....kinda funny to see that pleasure boat get stuck.... they had plenty of open water where no one was fishing and dang they had to try mucking us up.... well, they ended up having to jump off in the mud & push the thing back to deep water....lol.) From the 154 bridge to the I 57 bridge is an area you can let her rip.... no stickups in that area.

Hope this helps...... If you see a grey Duracraft, 25 hp Johnson & a big guy in overhalls give a shout.....that will be me.... and my brother.

Dean

10. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Made a misprint on the above post.... its "going WEST on 154 after you exit I 57

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I have no idea how yoiu catch that many there... i throw out 18 jugs and fish it for hours and I will only pull in 12. LOL

12. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Dean, bigBB and I will be out there all weekend, we will sure give you a shout if we see you. Thanks for all the great information guys, i'm hoping this trip turns out to be a good one. Even if we don't hook into a big one, I'm just looking to catch something. Looks like the weather is going to co-operate as well, just hope the new boat works out ok. Dean if you see an older 16 foot brown lowe jon boat out there broke down that's us...I'll bring a rope:big_smile:.

We just bought this boat, and we're in the process of getting this registered but we probably won't have all the paper work back by the time we hit the lake this weekend. We have to send off for a new title :angry:...I was wondering if DNR has a big presense out there? We have the bill of sale and all the paper work in order, just not the full registration yet. You guys think we will run into any issues?

13. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian...... you just ain't holding your mouth right......lol......

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I have never had a problem or seen the DNR out there honestly. But I don't live on that lake either. I have heard sometimes they go out there hot and heavy... but I personally never seen one.

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Jon - I sent off my registration over 3 months ago and still haven't received the title. I called before I sent off the paperwork and I was told to make a copy of the application and carry it with me in case I am checked. Still haven't been checked.

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Same as Aaron. The registration is many months behind in their job. And by many.. I am not exagerating.

We have been waiting since June for our registration.

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    when i got mine registered they gave me a little packet of papers i had to carry.

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Ya.. i got the temps and those are in the boat.. but the registration numbers and such for the boat have not arrived. I feel kind of guilty each time taking it out because it doesn't say IL XXXXXXX on the side.

We bought our boat new at Cope Marine in O'fallon. They have tried to contact them in regards to it but simply got "oh, we are a little bit behind."

19. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC
    Great to have you aboard...I sure hope you found some fish and was able to open your boat up on the lake...

These are some great people here you are talking to and pretty good on the directions around there as well...

Good Luck and hope to see more of you on here...

20. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well the trip was good, not great but good. We had some boat issues...to be expected with an old jon boat that we just bought. Had a small leak we had to fix Saturday morning. The outboard had a mud dobber nest up in the pee hole...lol, had to get that cleaned out in the middle of the lake no less. Then after all of that everything was running and floating great, however we didn't exactly fill the boat with fish either. We tried fishing up in gun creek, but it was REALLY LOW. I heard you guys talking about the water level up there, but WOW. We ended up fishing most of the night Saturday night in some coves up by Wayne F. We did alright caught a few decent cats using stink bait, we didn't have any luck on the garlic shrimp, few nibbles but that was it. All in all we had a good time, really it was a trial for the new boat, should be ready to go now. Sorry Dean, we were in the middle of repairing all of our issues a majority of the day Saturday wish we could of caught up with you, we certainly could of used some guidance on the spots to go out there.