TRIP TO RED RIVER AT DRAYTON

Discussion in 'NORTH DAKOTA RIVERS TALK' started by LUNKERCAT, Aug 24, 2008.

1. LUNKERCAT

LUNKERCAT New Member

State:
    north dakota
    HI EVERYONE.
    WOW, WHAT A TRIP TO THE '"CATFISH CAPITOL" OF NORTH DAKOTA. WE WERE TRULY BLESSED WITH SOME GREAT FISHING THIS PAST WEEKEND (AUG.21ST-23RD). I HADN'T FISHED THIS STRETCH SINCE LAST JULY OF 07 SO I DIDN'T HAVE GREAT EXPECTATIONS. I MET MY TWO BROTHERS THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND WE FISHED BELOW THE DAM FROM SHORE ON THURSDAY EVENING UNDER THE MOON. WE LANDED 10 CHANNELS FROM 4-12 LBS AND HAD A COUPLE THROW THE HOOK. MOSTLY ON FROGS AND CUT SUCKER. THE RIVER WAS UP FROM THE PREVIOUS WEEKS BIG RAINS DOWN SOUTH.
    THUNDERSTORMS CHASED US BACK TO THE MOTEL AND 2 INCHES OF RAIN CHANGED OUR PLANS SLIGHTLY FOR FRIDAY. INSTEAD OF LAUNCHING OUR BOAT AT THE RAMP BELOW THE DAM, WE HEADED UPSTREAM AND LAUNCHED IN THE CITY PARK TO AVOID THE MUD. NOT A BAD CHOICE. MANAGED 20 CATS FROM 2-15 LBS, MOSTLY ON SUCKER AND SOME ON FROGS. MOST PRODUCTIVE AREAS WERE 8-13 FT. HOLES NEAR VERY SHALLOW WATER (4-5 FT). ALSO RIVERBENDS WITH SOME DEEPER HOLES PRODUCED. A CHAT WITH SOME FARGO ANGLERS REVEALED THAT FISHING BELOW THE DAM HAD BEEN VERY GOOD, SO WE MADE PLANS TO HIT THAT AREA PROVIDED THE MUD HAD DRIED.
    SATURDAY WAS MECCA. A LITTLE MUD WASN'T ENOUGH TO STOP US FROM LAUNCHING AND A LOCAL TOLD US OF A HOLE A COUPLE MILES DOWNSTREAM THAT HAD BEEN PRODUCING BIG CHANNELS. IT DIDN'T TAKE VERY LONG AND WE HAD BOATED 11 CATS INCLUDING 2 AROUND 37 INCHES. ALL THOSE FISH CAME FROM 2 DIFFERENT HOLES. AFTER A SHORT MIDAFTERNOON BREAK WE HEADED BACK TO A "RIFFLE" AREA I HAD MARKED WITH MY ELECTRONICS NOT FAR DOWNSTREAM FROM A MAJOR RIVER BEND WITH SOME VERY SHALLOW WATER. THIS RIFFLE WAS FROM 6-13 FEET DEEP AND HAD LOTS OF UP AND DOWN STRUCTURE AND A FAIRLY HEAVY CURRENT REQUIRING 2 ANCHORS. IN 3 HOURS WE HAD 15 MORE CATS AVERAGING 32 INCHES WITH 4 OR 5 IN THE 34-35 INCH CATEGORY. THE "MAGIC" BAIT WAS FROGS. BUT ANOTHER BOAT WE TALKED TO HAD DONE EQUALLY AS WELL WITH WATERDOGS. ENDED THE EVENING NAVIGATING BACK TO THE RAMP THROUGH A CLOUD OF MAYFLIES. MAKING PLANS FOR NEXT YEARS TRIP TO DRAYTON (NOT LOCKPORT):smile2:HOPE TO POST SOME PICS OF THOSE PIGGIES SOON. ALL FISH WERE RELEASED UNHARMED. (ALWAYS USE CIRCLE HOOKS)
    LUNKERCAT
    IT'S NEVER AN ADVENTURE IF YOU KNOW THE OUTCOME

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some great fish! Congrats and good luck in the future

3. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    That Drayton stretch can be magic. I have had days in there where people have told me I was making it up. It truly is the "Catfish Capital of the North" I'm glad you had a good time.

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Awesome trip you had there!
    I can't wait till I can get up there again myself.:big_smile:

5. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Congrats on getting on the fish. Sounds like you were able to adjust and still land nice fish. Drayton has one fine fishery up there.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like you had great time catching fish and wonderful fellowship with your brothers . Looking forward to the pic's