Trip to Lake Ellsworth

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by oh_darn, Mar 4, 2008.

1. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I made a trip up to Lake Ellsworth here in Lawton and went below the dam. I couldn't catch any bait to save my life thanks to a couple of guys that thought throwing rocks right as I was throwing my net was funny. So I just figured I'd avoid any conflict and just fish with the shrimp and worms I always bring just in case I can't find any shad or sunfish. Not a single bite. But my question is, when you can't catch any shad or any other kind of bait, what's a good store bought bait to use?

2. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Oh yeah, and since those guys were keeping everything they caught, even the fish that were obviously not even close to big enough to legally keep, I gave a tip to Operation Game Thief. LOL. Goes to show, never piss off a fisherman. Hopefully they got a visit from a game warden.

3. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Way to go....I hate discourteous people. My real pet peeve is jet-skiers that love to zoom in close to your boat. I guess the only alternative to not catching live bait is either to buy some minnows or go to prepared baits.

Let's hope the warden got a piece of those guys...........

4. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Yeah he got to them. I ran into the warden today while I was up at Ellsworth picking up the sunglasses that I left on accident yesterday and we got to talking. 700 dollar ticket. Each. Fishing without a license, and a bunch of illegal fish. Maybe next time they'll learn not to do that.

5. LinebBoatRunner

LinebBoatRunner New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    verry good job. thanks for doin the right thing

6. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I'd like to say that the only reason I called was because of my strong moral fiber, but I have to admit there was a little bit of payback mixed in with it. LOL

7. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    The floodgates at Ellsworth have got to be opened for a longer amount of time than what they've been lately in order for the fishing to be good below the dam.

However, a guy at work told me he took his son below the dam the other day and they caught a few saugeyes on (old reliable) white grubs. He said they were about 2-3 lbs and one went about 4 lbs or so... he said they went into his freezer.

8. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Thanks, I'll have to try that tomorrow after work if it warms up any. When does the fishing usually pick up below the dam at Ellsworth?

9. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Well I made the trip again today. I was only there for a few hours but I caught a 13 pound blue catfish on some shrimp and I caught 2 saugeye on a white grub. Thanks for the tip fourwinds, without it I probably wouldn't have bothered to go down today, and I'd have missed out on catching some fish.

10. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    You're welcome, joe. Nice to hear you caught some fish. I try to have those white grubs with me anytime I go fishin. They're pretty reliable for catching 'something'... you'll usually always catch 'something' with white grubs.

11. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    While you were there, were any of the floodgates still open? If so how many? I was told the other day there were 3 open to 6". But without more rain up on the watershed they'll close them before long and from the looks of Cache Creek in town they've already pinched them off some.

As for when the fishing picks up below the dam, it's not all that cut and dried. When the floodgates are closed, there's not much water right below the dam and so no fish to speak of. Sometimes a few will get trapped in the pool at the base of the dam but not many. There's usually water in the creek on downstream starting about Doc Bonnifield's place.

When they first open just a few floodgates it typically takes several days to a week for the baitfish to run up there and the cats to come chasing them. If they close them back off then the fishing falls off again.

When the rains keep coming every few days or every week and they keep just a few gates opened, they continued downstream current allows for more baitfish migrating and more cats (and whatever else) to come chasing them.

When the rains get to be almost nonstop, they'll sometimes open all of the floodgates and you won't even be able to fish below the dam. You would'nt want to.

But when they gradually pinch them off and the creek goes down you'll have a hard time finding any room to even cast... it's almost elbow to elbow. Thats when you'll find stripers in there. They come up from Texoma. You won't find many bass if any though.

I've got some pictures from last year. I might try to post some.

12. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Correction... coffee hadn't kicked in yet... you won't find many 'largemouth' bass if any though...

13. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    The first time I went they had 2 open to 6'' but yesterday they just had 1 at 6''. I think I'm going to go back again today and spend the day fishing.

14. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Saugeye biting good during the morning on jigs and grubs, only one gate open, I didn't catch any though. Everyone else was, just not me.

15. CatfishMOJO

CatfishMOJO New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I AM GOING TO ELLSWORTH FOR MY FIST TIME THIS WEEKEND, ANY GOOD SPOTS OR TIPS TO TRY FOR THIS LAKE FOR BIG CATS??? THANKS...

16. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Well Shawn, I can tell you where NOT to go for catfish. LOL. So far in 2 weeks I've just caught one catfish below the dam. The saugeye are biting pretty good down there though.

17. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    there hasn't been enough water discharged for enough time to get the cats up there below the dam yet... and without more rainS it ain't gonna happen either.

18. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Ok, since the cats and other fish come up that creek with the high waters, do you think that if I go and fish that creek I'd be able to catch anything? I took a walk down it today and I saw some water that looks fishy, but I didn't have my fishing gear with me, so I couldn't test that theory.

19. okiejc

okiejc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think that red worms and night crawlers are pretty good bait when you can't catch any. Have you ever tried soaking your shrimp in vanilla overnight? I hear It works good.

20. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I'll have to give that a shot John. Vanilla... I never would have thought of that for catfish, but that's the main scent I use for carp bait.