Trip to Hopewell this weekend

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jlcclh, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am planning a trip To Hopewell and this is my first time down there. Was wondering if anyone could give any advice on where to go, where to catch bait, Dangerous spots on the river, and so on... I am catch and release fishing just want a boat load of memories. Thanks for all the help. This site is awesome.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    JL if you go east out of Hopewell to Jordan point there is a bridge across the river there at the Marina.I have seen a lot of bait caught right there at the bridge as well as some big cats.It would behove you to get a Map of the river which you can buy at the Marina and I am told that there is someone there selling bait now.Ask the folks at the Marina for any trouble spots but I think barge traffic is the biggest threat if you adhere to basic safe boating rules.Let common sense prevail.;) :p :)

3. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Get the map of the James if you haven't been there before. It will be easier with the map. Pay attention to the channel markers until you feel comfortable. The James is a great fishery but it can be kind of hairy if you know what I mean. If someone else is in speaking distance of you then ask if you have a question. The answer is only available if you put the question out there. If it is not too windy the current will help show the path to some degree. If the map shows shallows with wrecks, make sure you watch yourself. The channel is well marked. If you need more help let me know via PM. If you like we can talk on the phone as I seem to describe in talk better than in type. Later for now---jonnycat

4. Rainbo

Rainbo New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The river get much wider below Hopewell. Go that way and you must pay atention to the chanel markers. Above Hopewell there are still markers but the river is not nearly as wide and the channel is more obvious. It been windy here and the river can get pretty choppy. Check the weather forecast and make sure your equiped to handle the conditions.