Trip to get some Skips

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by stlcatman, Nov 11, 2007.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Anyone planning on going to KY dam or pickwick next weekend. With the low water and my bait holes drying up I think it is time to go get some skipjack.

Does anyone know if they are still running at KY dam right now or would it be better to head to pickwick. I know that Pickwick has bigger skips but if I can go catch a bunch of medium sized ones 3 hrs away then thats what I will probably do.

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ryan, there was someone that just made a post a few days ago that caught 300 in a day between him and his friend at Ky Dam, but i cant find the post. Deerhunter was sayin they were running pretty darn good too. Drop him a PM. He might be able to fill you in on the details.

3. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I went last sunday and got about half a five gallon bucket full.
    The water was up alot and they were running a different gate than usual.

I am going tomorrow Monday that is. Sya there is you go.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Boy I'd sure like to go down there for that... Not sure how my 4 year old (today is her birthday) daughter will handle that, I really, really want to go down there!

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm ready to go get some! I think a group trip is a great idea to save on expenses.

I won't be back home for 2 weeks though, after that I am game.

Find out who has the biggest vehicle, passenger seating-wise. I'll volunteer my 20 ft jon or we can take whoevers boat.

Lets make a plan. Not sure I can or WANT to run down as soon as I get home. Got a little catching up to do on the chores.:wink:

6. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    OH NO NO NO!!! You Misery boy ain't allowed to catch our skips here in Kentucky. It's all fun and games until you want something from us! LOL Just kidding guys. The last I heard the skips are still running at the dams.

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    If nothing changes around here and the water keeps dropping than I am definately going. Thanks for the help guys. 300 is a heck of a number I would be real happy with 100, that should get me through to March.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've got a four door truck, but I could possibly sneak the suburban down there as well!

9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Is the dam located on the south end of the KY lake?

10. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fellows I live here in Tenn about 40 miles from Pickwick. There has been such little rainfall here that the dams are not releasing current all the time. In my experience the dams need to have at least 3 units running for the skips to bite good. They are running three units sometimes but never know when. You can go to tva.com check lake info and pick a resivoir location and they will tell you how many units they are running and when. Hope this helps. It would suck to drive that far and there not be any current. Just trying to help.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks for the heads up Chris! Reps to ya for lookin out!

12. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Well, if anyone decides to come up tomorrow, I'll be the guy with a bucket full of skips (i HOPE) lol.

13. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I've got some gas money if there's an empty seat.

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Wait a minute? Doesn't someone have a van? We could fit a lot of guys in a van.

Rat's Suburban ought to hold a bunch of guys.

My boat is rated for 11 passengers, LOL but me thinks we can just take turns going out with a few guys at a time to keep it comfortable.:smile2:

Rat takes up two to three spaces all by himself.:wink:

It could be a pretty cheap trip splitting the costs. I'm used to doing it alone and paying it all, I am game.

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey!!!!!!!!!! Are you saying I'm fat?! :too_sad:

That hurts Darryl...that hurts...

16. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    That was pretty rude darryl. :angry: You went and hurt sasquatches feelings.

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well Ryan....looks like you've got quite a response... now what?

When we leaving? Are we driving down just for the day or we goin to stay overnight?

I'm up for just a day trip.

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

No Rat, I said you were huge, not fat, big difference. You know.....in a Sasquatch kind of way.

Now, don't hurt me. We're cool right?:worship::worship::worship:

19. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh that's it!!!! I'll be hiding in the bushes next time you launch at Melvin Price!:hell_boy:

20. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    You dont need a boat at KY dam to catch skips. Just fyi. And I live an hour south of there so theres plenty of floor space at my house anytime.