Trip on the Mississippi River with Catmandu62

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by stlcatman, Nov 21, 2007.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Aaron (catmandu62) and I went out after dark tonight to try our luck with the Kittys. It was a great night, it felt like summer and I could have stayed out there till I had to go to work. As a bonus the catfish were a biten'. We got set up on the first spot at around 7 or so and didnt have any luck there. So we moved to another spot just above a wing dike that looked good. I had one take down with no joy and then another with the same results. Then Aarons rod does the slow bend and then starts stripping drag and fish on! He did a great job fighting it and got it to the boat to get his weight and a quick photo session. It was a healthy fish weighing in at 35 1/2 lbs. We ended up with that fish, I missed two more and landed a 38 lber and a 10 lber. Aaron also caught a 20 lber and I will let him tell you about the one that got away. We found the fish on outside bends above the wing dikes in around 35' of water. The bait of choice was fresh skipjack, courtesy of our neighbors to the southeast. The rig was carolina style with a 6oz weight and a size 8/0 gamagatsu circle hook. We set up on 3 different spots and found fish in two of them. It was a great night out on the water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Glad to hear ya had a good trip.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Great job guys!!! I will be home today, FINALLY. Can't wait to hit the river soon, it has been a LONG TIME!!!!!

Ryan, meet me at my house with some skippies, could ya??? Ole Buddy, Ole pal?:wink:

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    sounds like a good trip. Congrats guys.

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Way to go Ryan and Aaron... great weather, great fishing, it don't get any better, glad you were out enjoying it.

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    ryan, Aaron i see how you guys are, my phone didnt ring one time last night.
    I just call t-mobile to make sure its still on.......LMAO (just kidding)

nice trip guys, where did you put in? I cant wait till i get out there cold or not i got to get out there. I wonder if bill's doing any good he said he was going this morning

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Sorry about that Willie, we did a last minute deal because I am going duck hunting and It may be a while before I can get back out. We put in a Truman and It was really low. I am glad we had Aarons boat instead of my deep v the water is still dropping and it would have been tough.

Darryl I will be over there when I get back, with fishing rods in hand......oh and some skipps:smile2: Have a safe trip home. Good luck fishing, I hope you get on em.

8. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Here are a couple more pics of the two bigger fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    those are some very nice fish, cant wait till i fish that stretch of river
    soon i hope you guys are catching some hogs down there

10. catmandu1962

catmandu1962 New Member

State:
    missouri
    nice lookin kittys guys sounds like you had fun

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good Job fellers!!! Congrats on the good night. :smile2: Ryan, when you joining the boat club??:cool2:

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    In January I hope, I cant wait. It will be so much easier to launch my boat with a dock that I can tie it to.

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Good Job Ryan and Aaron!

I wish I would've have done as well today as you did last night :angry: lil' river-rat and I went out this morning and braved the elements in hopes of a crazy feeding frenzy, unfortunately is was a dink fest! Not only that, we only boated 3 dinks :sad2:

I don't know what the problem is but I do have a theory. I think word has gotten out about Cuz and Ryan cruising down to the Kantuuukee area and brinin' back that "filet mignon" to feed these 'ol hogs! These hogs are holding out on those "fine cuts" and passing on the "lips and a$$h@les"! That's gotta be the answer!

My secret weapon, the mooneyes, are becoming harder to find with the colder weather blowing in so my bait choices have become limited to shad, and I've never had the greatest amount of success utilizing shad. I had plenty of time out there today to reflect on the very successful summer and early fall I had with landing the big fish and that is the only difference I can come up with. I mean, I "painted" alot of fish in the holes I fished today. It seemed like the fish would come up, "bump" the bait then swim off, they really were not interested in the shad! I honestly believe if I had some other bait such as, oh......I don't know........Moonies, or Skippys, I would have enticed the hogs to slam the pole to the water. There was a rainy overcast sky, a good wind out of the north, things should have been different, I truely believe that if I would've had some other bait fish, I would be posting a different story.

Good Job Ryan and Aaron!

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well after I posted my last post, I checked my other favorite website to check the weather readings, and discovered something.

I noticed that while I was fishing today, the barometric presure was "steady" then later in the afternoon began a rapid increase. I then decided to check what the barometer was doing while Ryan and Aaron were fishing, it was on a steady fall. Is there a corallation? (spelling?) If so, what is it? I know when the presure is falling it's good to be fishing, is it the same when it rises? I don't know.

Here are some links to what I was looking at;

November 20th 2007
    http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMOSAINT4&month=11&day=20&year=2007

Today, November 21st 2007
    http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMOSAINT4&month=11&day=21&year=2007

What do you guys think?

15. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Thanks for the report Bill, it was just a cold nasty day today. I noticed bait harder to find also, had to pick up one or two each throw down deep. The fish I processed had a lot of fat inside but had not been feeding. If it is any consolation, I tried some mooneye and nothing. :confused2: Bravo for hanging in there on such cold wet day. thanks again for the report Bill

16. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I've found that the bite is usually good whenever the barometer is moving. Yesterday it was dropping, last three times before that it was rising. Each time out preceded a front moving in. Have noticed though when the bite shuts down that the barometer went steady.

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I think a falling barometer is the best from what I have seen. Thats just my opinion, I believe that the bigger cats will go on a feed just before a front moves through while the barometer is falling. I have never really paid that much attention to a rising one though. I'll tell you one thing, I have bookmarked that site Bill, thanks for that link.

18. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Well now Bill, the old guys used to tell me that when you werent catchin anything it was because you werent holding your mouth right. I guess that was the problem. I think all you got to do is place the fresh bait right in front of their mouth and they will bite. Course thats just my opinion. So lets review: Hold mouth right and put bait derectly in front of fishes mouth.

19. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Nice fish, what was the water temperature.

20. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    The water temp where I was fishing was 48-49 degrees.