Trinity river near Liberty

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by coolarrow2, Sep 9, 2007.

1. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man the fishing has really been good here where I fish the river. I caught a 38lb flathead on a rod and reel Friday two weeks ago and many more nice fish since. I went Friday and caught a 48qt ice chest full of blues and one flat and went back this morning at 4:00 am and caught 6 flats and four blues. Here is a picture of the ones I wanted for a mess of fish. I also added the pic of the 38lb one I caught. I love cat fishing with rod and reel! Line catch more but this is way more fun!!!

Attached Files:

2. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like the mighty Trinity is producing big time down farther south than where I live up closer to Dallas. Are you anchoring and fishing the log jams with cut bait? Would love to here more about the way you're fishing, especially how you're catching the flatheads on rod and reel... VERY.. interesting! Luke Clayton

3. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke I fish above log jams that are at the head of deep holes. There are only about 4 spots in a 15 mile section of river that produce regular for me. I fish live bait, blue gill, goggle eye, mud cat, gold fish, ect. The best size are around 3" to 4". After a bait get to where is stops kicking I change it out and then I use it for cut bait. There are lots of places to catch fish but if I cannot get the boat set up just right so I can lay my bait in the hole and keep my line right with the current I dont waste much time there. I do not anchor much but I'm going to but some of the dock floats like the pontoon boats use to tie in my anchor ropes so when I get a fish on I can leave the anchors in place and chase the fish with the boat. I have lost some big fish while tring to get the anchors up so I can chase it.
    I use a stout 7' rod a shakesphere tide water 10L reel and 50lb big game line. I use 4 oz and 5 oz weights and a 4/0 kahle or bigger hook. I spend lots of time on the water and really watch my graph. I also mark every good spot on the gps so I can find it in the dark. That just about sums it up. By the way I do catch some flatheads on cut bait but very few and the ones I do are small. I do catch some nice blues though. I caught a 12 lb one the other night. Good luck

4. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Excellent fish glad you guys are catching something!

Luke Clayton: Anywhere you can suggest where I can launch a kayak to get some cats? I live near Haslet/Keller and still new the the area. Or if your ever around this area and want to try fishing off of a kayak your more than welcomed!