Trinity River FOG

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by rudetech1, Dec 17, 2006.

1. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, it would be nice to do some night fishing on the Trinity. The coastal fog is killing that idea. For about a week straight, the fog has been so thick, I can barely see the end of the boat, and it's only 16'. The blues bite well at night here, deep this time of year. But you gotta' be able to get to the spots. Hope it clears by the week end!! Wanna' do some X-mas weekend fishing!! Large shad, or extra large minnows do the trick! The livelier the better!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good luck and I hope the fog clears out for you. The most freaked out I ever got fishing was watching the fog roll in during a full moon with the coydogs baying. Talk about erie

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Luck Steve,I hope the Fog clears for You. And a BIG Old Welcome Aboard the BOC. The BEST Catfishing Sight on the Web !! And we are some of the Best looking Floks out there I might Add.
    J.D.
    :beat_brick:

4. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish the Trinity river too. The fishing has been good lately! I hear you on the fog though. I use the GPS alot this time of year!

5. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Coolarrow, I usually fish below or about the sulfur cut area. It's just habit, my vehicle got broken into in Liberty a few years ago, so I go downriver to launch. Yep, this time of year is when the bigguns' are down in the holes. Would have sent you a P.M. but the system says I need 10 post to do so> A little short I'm afraid!!! Are you launching at Hwy90 or at the TPWD ramp in liberty? Just wondering.

6. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    I think you guys need a navigator... Me me me me me me:wink:

The Trinity makes me sick when I have to drive over and right on by to get to work:sad2:

The fog has been killer we hoped a boat in Anauhac a few days ago to do a lil work on a small platform in the Bay ..
    We ran aground just off the side of the channel and were stuck for 2.5 hours!
    We finally got tugged and made it out but man it was thick as chouder down on the water!

7. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rudetech, That's good fishing there. I used to fish it all the time but the IH10 ramp is messed up plus I had a sheriff tell me that it was a really bad place to leave your truck so I just launch a Hwy 90 in Liberty. I have never had any trouble there! Knock on wood!!! I have fished that ramp all my life. At least the last 35 years I can remember. LOL I was around 5 when My grandfather started taking me down there that I can remember. That's a pretty good run from the corp ramp at the locks! Around 8 to 10 miles I would guess. Closer to 10 i'm pretty sure. Have you been up to the next creek that runs into the river? It's a super spot! Deep with a log jam at the mouth " If it has not changed too much since I was last there". Anyway If the TPWD don't fix the ramp at Liberty I will be fishing down that way more when the river is low so we might see each other down there. I hope they clean it out though! They told me they would.

8. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If your talking about the logjam on the creek that is about 3 miles up from I-10 on the left, where the old camp sheds were ( the tin on the bank), you betcha'. Pulled a 23lb cat out of the about 4 years ago. One of my favorite spots is the deep hole up from cut about a 1/4 mile, it goes to 25'-30' on the deep 90 degree turn, put a 6" minnow there and you're in for as fight! The log jam is great when you get a good current, the bait goes under it, just have to be ready to pull em' out before they run in to it. if you want a really good pic of the area, go to GOOGLE Maps and use the sattelite view, you can see the whole layout of the valley area. It looks really cool around the Moss Hill area. I keep the guage at Liberty from the USGS/Streamflow on my favorites so I get real time conditions before I go. Saves a lot of time. And after a mild rain, IT'S ON!! I can't launch at Hwy-90, the vehicle is too low and the trailer is too high. I'd like to be able to afford an E-TEC so I could go further up when I launch, that would put me past Liberty and back on 1 tank of fuel. The little 1648 only holds 9 gals. With the E-tec, I could double my run!!! Hector (Texas Game Wraden) towed me back the last time I tried it, had about 1 mile to go when she ran out of fuel. The guage was stuck on the reserve hump in the bottom of the tank and there was a mild current. Live and learn!!!

9. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rudetech, Man I'm not sure how far it is up to the cut I'm talking about. It's been a while but Its the one that Pickets Bayou runs into the river through. There is a water lock gate in it about 300 yards or so from the river. I'm pretty sure it farther that 3 miles though. It seams like I was 1/2 way there when I got to the sulfur cut. I ended up getting on a fishing lease that gave me the right to launch into Pictetts Bayou so I stopped running up from IH10. That ramp will be public by the end of the year I hear but there will be a day light use only restriction. Maybe that will change. I've caught good fish at the bottom lake Charlott channel and at the Sulfur cut where they dump into the river. If you know where the lift station is for the water going into Houston that is about as far down as I fish most of the time. Thats 10 miles by GPS from Liberty. There is some super fishing in the river from IH10 up to Liberty but there is alot of water between the good holes. I have a 1652 G-3 with w 40HP Yamaha on it and it takes about 25 minuites to run the 10 miles down river and not wipe out the lower unit! LOL My boat runs about 31 mph. Anyway I might see you on the river one day. If they get the ramp cleaned out in Liberty I'll let everyone on here know. Ray

10. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rudetech, I checked on some GPS software and the milage was a little less that what I remembered. It's 4.2 miles from the corp ramp to IH10, 4.1 miles from HI10 to the Sulfur cut and 4.1 miles from the sulfur cut to the mouth of Picketts Bayou. So that's not too bad a 1/2 run or so. Any way have a good one. I'm going to try to hit the river Saturday for a morning fish if I can get out of the house for a little while.

11. buffalo bill

buffalo bill New Member

State:
    texas
    i was wandering if anyone could tell me how to get to the boat ramps over there in liberty texas? the ramp under i 10 has been fenced in with some kind of construction can you still get to that ramp?

12. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The nearest ramp is the Wallisville ramp, if you're comimg from Houston. Pass over the Trinity river bridge, take the first exit off the highway to the feeder road. Keep heading east, you will see a sign for the Lake Wallisville/ Army Corps of Engineers Project. There is a gate, it's always open. The road runs along the levee system for the river. Follow it down, go across the dam, look for the trucks and trailers. It's a nice well lit ramp. Plenty of room to manuever with floating docks. There you go, now go fish!!!!!

13. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill there are two ramps in Liberty. One is at the Hwy 90 bridge on the west side of the river. It is a TPWD ramp and if the river is below 5.5' above sea level you can forget it. Right now the river is high so your good. I have word from the TPWD that the ramp will be cleaned out so we will be able to use it all the time. Next is the ramp in the Liberty ship channel or so call the "Cut". There is a TPWD sign just to the east of the river bridge on Hwy 90 and if you follow the signs it will lead you to it. It is a very steep ramp and it will not get you into the river unless the river is at 12' above sea level. Trust me on that! I live on that river so don't even try it unless it is 12' high. It is a oxbow lake around 3.5 miles long most of the time. The ramp at IH10 will be closed till the new bridge is complete and it to fish down that way the Corp ramp is the ticket as Rudetech said. But if you want to fish up Liberty way now is a good time. Just watch the river level on the net and your good. They have been biting good the past few weeks.

14. bgbluecat

bgbluecat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm in Huffman and have tried the Hwy90 launch point and worked upstream and down (up being my choice should I have engine problems). Had some problems with getting over sandbars, log jams and other unseen obstructions. Now this was a couple of years ago but in those three trips I also had issues with blue crabs and gars - lots of both of them. Don't think I ever got further upstream more than a couple of miles and downstream even less.
    I would like to learn a little more about the Trinity (have own gear, boat, etc). Could reciprocate by sharing some trotlining and jugging info on Texana, Houston and Coleto Creek Lakes.

15. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    BGbluecat, Well I know by your post that when you went to the river it was in the summer. We catfish up till June and that is about it till it turns cold again in the fall. The gar and blue crabs get so thick in the river your are just about wasting your time unless there is a big rain up north and the river get above 15' above sea level or so. Then you can really tear up the cats and the water is so swift the crabs and gar are looking for less current. During that time we fish right in the current with our lines or rod and reels. Up river is bad unless the river is above 7' at Liberty. If you need help on where to get the river level info I'll help you out on that too. Man The Trinity is a super river! It's full everything that makes a great catfish river and then some. 30lb fish are common and 40 and 50lb's are caught every year in the cooler months. My best is the 67lb one in my picture. I've lost way bigger fish, and have lost count on how many 9/0 hook I've had pulled out straight and never seen the fish. If your pole fishing shad is the bait! You can get a few fish on shrimp but shad is the real deal. I can hook you up on where to catch them all year if your will keep it on the low! lol If your line fishing anything big and live is good. I use perch most of the time. Anyway come on over and fish. Now is a great time. Down river is safer and deeper till you learn the river. A GPS is a great tool if you got one. I fish up to around 10 miles down from Liberty and around 8 mile up river from Liberty when the water allows me to go up river. As far as the Gar, I bow fish all summer and I LOVE IT!! It's a blast if you have never done it. I started bowfishing around 30 years ago and man I still get so excited when a big one is rolling near by I can hardley stand it. I got one last summer that was around 170lbs. Wow what a fight! I've seen several 9'+ fish and one day I'll get one. We go at night with lights to and shoot the small ones to thin out the millions but I have never even made a dent in the amount we see! Anyway Let me know when your comming over. I go almost every weekend and I'll show you a spot or two if you want to go down river.

16. bgbluecat

bgbluecat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds good - presume you post here regularly (so I can find you)?
    On one of those trips we pulled into a sand bar upstream of a deep hole and tried to bank fish but some guys came up in a bass boat right on our lines and started sticking arrows in gar. Only bowfishing I've done was in salt water at night under permanent lights. Had to wait around a lot for something to swim through the light.
    I have a Bowtech Patriot and a Mathews Outback - they're probably not suitable (too much hardware hanging on them). May want to try that gar business out - guess I would have to visit a pawn shop and get a lower end recurve??? Then when (if) I fall over the side I won't be losing much. Believe I still have a few old fiberglas fish arrows out in the barn.
    But yes, it was summer - lots of wood sticking out of the water and just under. Had to drive around slow for fear of breaking something on the lower unit.

17. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry to hear about the rude guys in the bass boat! I have had some really rude people tick me off down there but I've met some really great people to. I was tied to a tree top one day and I had a guy come flying by me, not 50' away in a bass boat and then came back and ask me if I knew a good spot to fish. LOL I told him that there was no good spots on this river for him to fish! And he went on. What type of boat do you have? I have a G-3 1652 all welded boat with a 40hp on it. It does a great job for all my fishing stuff. I like to catfish, bowfish and I even do a little bass fishing from time to time. As far as the bow fishing any bow will work. Just pull all the stuff off of it and set it up with a good reel and your set. I use a compound and a recurve. I like both so I keep both in the boat. There is a bow shop in Dayton "Triple Edge archery" he keeps the reels and string and arrows right there. Sam is the owner and he's a good guy. I hear you on the high dollar bows though. My Hoyt stays at the house in the summer. LOL I've never lost a bow but I would cry if the Hoyt went for a drink! LOL Anyway I get on here quite a bit and if you want you can shoot me a e-mail when your comming. I'll be on the water next weekend for sure.

18. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Checked out the river level at Liberty a little while ago. Man they are letting the water flow now!! This is what I call the winter flush!!! It flushes them crabs right out!! You know them cats will be heading for some big shad right now, or a good 6" minnow!! Too bad I gotta work the next 2 weekend!:confused2:

19. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That's too bad. I've got 80 perch caught and in the bait tank for Friday night. I got high hopes for the weekend! It should be super fishing.