Trinity River blue catfish

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by rudetech1, Jan 16, 2007.

1. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The Trinity has gone above flood stage at Liberty, looks like I'll be waiting a little longer to get the big bluecats. Way too much flow for the 1648 Big Jon. Hit Conroe this past weekend for a Bass prefish,would'nt you know it, caught a nice channel cat on a home-made streamer. Guess I'll hit Lake Houston in search of cats this weekend instead of the Trinity. Sure wish I could go to the mighty Trinity though. Oh well, good things come to those who wait, so I'm due when the weather clears!:cool2:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good Luck to you. I fished the trinity many years ago but, futher north, near Ft. Worth. Lake Conroe I know has a good bass population but, how is the catfishing there?

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    For channel cats, L. Conroe has the highest population in the state. There are some good blues in the lake and some flatties, but channels are the best bet. some biggies have been caught there, including a 30+ lb one as I recall.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks Gadzooks, I have never fished Conroe but, had heard good things about it.

5. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i plan on going to trinity to fish around the 1st. hope the river will be back down by then.. i have never been that far up livingston but hear the fishing is good up there.

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rudetech, Man why do you think you can not catch the blues when the water is high? Man when the water is up is some of the best fishing!! I'll take high water over low water ANY DAY! I have a 1652 G-3 and a full bank river will not hurt you. Now I do understand that the river looks bad but there are some super spots to catch fish. Not out in the super swift current either. You will have to launch in the cut because your boat will not fit under the bridges at the 90 ramp but man the blues bite like crazy!! If I was not on call this weekend I would be putting out lines and I'm telling you I would catch fish. I will go down to the cut Saturday if it's not raining and I don't have to work. I'll give you a few hints on some spots if you want to try it out. I can tell you about a spot that you can fill the boat this time of year but I don't like to tell everyone where it is. It's a super winter spot.
    Tuffish If you mean north of the lake it's good up there too but I know way more about the river below the lake. We are planing a trip to Midway in the early spring if I can get away from work for the weekend.

7. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    agree coolarrow2, I'm chopp'in at the bit to wet a hook this weekend with all this fresh water fall'in from the sky.

8. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Coolarrow, It's not that the fish are'nt there. It has to do with the new carbs I put on the engine, I have'nt got the bugs out yet. I don't want to have any problems when I get on a full bank river. I've been trying to get to Lake Houston to debugg the fuel system. Unfortunately life gets in the way! Drove over the Trinity about 30 minute ago on the way back from Kenefic ( took the long way ), had to check up on my brothers water in the back yard situation, make sure we didn't need to move stuff upstairs. The river was moving, and I just know that there are some nasty,mean,bodacious cats in the eddy currents, not to mention the ones deep down on the current holding to the bottom. I'm going to try to hit Lake Houston Friday night to debugg the carbs, this should free me up for Saturday unless work calls. Belley Hungry! Must eat catfish! It sucks when you work on outboards and can't find time to fix my own rig! She has a fresh rebuild, just a little debugging and i'll be ownin' the Big river!:wink:

9. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rudetech, Man I under stand about that. You sure don't want to get down river and the motor quit on you. What boat place you work at? I know a couple of boat mech's my self around the beaumont area. I can not wait to get on the water. I will just get ready this weekend and go next weekend. I'm still catching bait with my buddy so we will be set for next weekend.

10. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    ive fished the trinity only about 6 or 7 times but it was always on the rise or when it was flooded. only thing ive caught was blues when in this position. set lines for flats and did no good. lots of blues though from 1-2 lb eating size on up to 45 lb bragging size....curious to how you do so let us know.

11. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i am gonna go up around trinity and try. years ago when we fished livingston a lot we always fished near kikkapoo creek. there was a marina called culps above that we fished some. i know culps is gone and do not know the name of it now. i do know that we always caught fish, so i figure after a few days i can catch fish up the lake.

12. 1hws

1hws New Member

State:
    GA
    I used to live the near the lake close to the dam and have always fished the high watersget arounf the high bank areas on the river and load the boat down with blues all kinds of sizes.

Is anyone been to Camillia Lake Park by any chance. I was wondering if that little spill way was still there opened to the public. I will be comming down the 1st of Feb. If anyone wonts to go fishing let me know, I used to be a guide there about 15 yrs ago that my buddies say is still good fishing they say some still have not been fished. they were my hidden spots and took my payers there, and never let anyone take a GPS on the boat either and I know I lot of bank fishing spots also

13. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm waiting for the river to go back down,too. I don't have a boat so the wait for me is a bit longer. I normally fish just below the Livingston dam but all 12 gates have been open for a couple of weeks now and its nearly impossible to fish from the bank (too many hangups & swift water). Ohhhh, but when it goes down those big blues should be very active. I haven't been able to find many shad but I have access to a farm pond thats full of "always ready to bite" bream.

14. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    1hws, yes it still open. If you have not been there in years there is a bridge across the river there now just below the dam. Bothe sides of the river are owned by the same folks who own the store on the west side. you can launch in the lake or the river with one pass. The ramps are in bad shape when the water is down but if your comming in two week that will not be a issue! They are letting 50000cfs right now and the weather is calling for rain for the next three or so days. If it too bad below the dam you got the lake of the Hwy 59 river ramp just south of goodrich, its a super nice ramp. Good luck on your trip.

15. 1hws

1hws New Member

State:
    GA
    Thanks for the reply, I know when the river is at its normal heighth that it used to be a great place to get shad bait and catch a lot of 1-2Lbs blues as well as white bass and drum, but when the water is high in that area you can find some nice big cats with perch out there. I had found that using corks at 4 FT deep can catch alot of good eating size blues if you get into the trees.

16. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm in the DFW metroplex, but don't really ever fish the Trinity. Mostly because I don't want to go fish in the metroplex by the Trinity by myself, for saftey reasons, and although catch and release might be fun, I'd never dream of eating anything that came out of it.