Trinity River, around Athens

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by etexun, Jul 12, 2008.

1. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Would someone share a good place to go around Athens to do some Jug lining? I live In Henderson, and a friend and I have been thinking of trying a new place to jug line for catfish.

2. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I have heard of a place outside of Crockett. It is on Hwy 7 at the Trinity River bridge. Can anyone tell me about it. Or another good place to put in and set out some juglines. I want to put a trip together next weekend and run them Fri and Sat.

Thanks

3. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Robert,
    I'm not a river fisherman, but do know of a few places to get on the Trinity if that's what you're looking for. There is a place at the Hwy. 7 crossing just outside of Crocket. I've never launched there, but have seen boats there before on the way to our lease near Trinity. They also have a small camp ground there as well. There is also another access point at Hwy. 287 just behind the Richland-Chambers dam. I don't know how accessible it is when the river is down though. Last, but not least is the public ramp in Riverside. It's a little more into Lake Livingston, but launches right into the river channel. Your next best bets would be to hit the area lakes such as RC, Cedar Creek or Palestine. Good luck and be safe out there.

4. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Thanks Bobby, I drove down to Crockett Saturday and checked out several spots to put in and fish. I checked out your suggestions and they were spot on.
    I went to 3 places looking for the right place to put in and spend a couple days fishing the river. I found it.
    First I went out of Crocket on Hwy 7 to the fish camp called "Lock n Dam Marina". It is located just over the river and on the north side of the road. The trouble here was the bank was very high and the only way to get your boat in was to let them hook it up to this trolley system and let them lower it to the river for you. Once you get it in the river you have to just tie it up to the bank somewhere. No dock. And you have to lug your fish back up a really, really steep bank if you catch anything. There is also a spillway at this location and with the water at its current level you can not get upstream. You can only fish the downsteam side.
    Now on the positive side they have a nice new store with food and some bait. They also have several new cabins that you can rent for your stay. a nice campground and hookups and picnic area. It looked very safe and clean.
    Then we went back and went down Hwy 21 to the ramp there. It is located under the bridge and is a state ramp. Parking for vehicles and trailer is under the bridge. No camping, or cleaning stations available here or campground and you can not camp under the bridge. But the access to river is really good.
    If you drive on down 21 for about a half mile or so then turn left on a FM road there is another place to camp and put in. You drive down the FM road for a couple miles and you will come to a sharp left turn with a dirt road Y'ing off back to the left. Turn on it and then take an immediate right on another dirt road. There is no sign or anything here but trust me, just drive about a mile and keep looking to your left. You will see a sign that says "Coleman's Campground". Turn here and drive a mile or so to the campground. They have some rustic cabins for rent and camp spots with electricity. THey have a bath house and restroom. They also have a nice concrete ramp down to the river. with a small dock to tie up too. This campground is a little remote but it was just what I was looking for.
    I hope this helps someone.