Trimming Braid

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hct236, Jul 27, 2009.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Just curious what some of those more experienced with braid use to trim the tag end off knots. So far havn't found the line clippers to be much use. What I did find that works good is a tiny pair of scissors I use to tie flies with.

2. bigkat7698

bigkat7698 New Member

State:
    Bowling Green KY
    I bought a pair of $2.00 Berkley line clippers at Wallyworld and they cut my power pro as well as anything. That may be a diiferent story when they get dull but heck for $2.00 I'll buy another....Hope this helps...Bigkat

3. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Same here:wink:

4. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use a lighter...As long as you dont get the line too hot it burns pretty clean. Plus the eye of the hooks I use are pretty big so it doesn't make much difference.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    a sharp poket knife works great.:wink:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a sharp knife as well.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    diagonal side cutters channel lock brand will cut it clean every time with minimum effort:wink:

8. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    Fingernail clippers work great, inexpensive, not to bulky

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    diagonal side cutters here too they cut everything mono, braid, wire, ect

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Never had much luck with the finger nail clippers.A good pair of the children scissors works fine.You can by some at Walmart in the sewing section or from cabelas ,bass pro etc:big_smile:

11. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Usually I use a sharp knife. If my knife is dull, it would be a match flame.

12. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Never use anything but the little scissors in my keychain Swiss Army knife! Works like a champ and I always have it in my pocket!
    Oh, an aside: Don't ever throw this stuff away when you take it off your reel. Save it and use it. When you sew a button on with this stuff it stays sewn on. I thought I knew a little bit about a few things but realized I still had a lot of room to learn when I saw a lad of about 12 or 13 cut a watermelon with his braided fishing line. Clean, quick cut and we were eating melon.
    Best regards,

13. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use your teeth:eek:oooh::smile2: When I was using braid I used wire cutters and it worked fine. I think Berekely even sells special shear type scissors made to specifically cut braid.

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Tried everything out there at one time or the other,they all get dull eventually,even side cutters.I stick to my old swiss army knife,sharpened weekly of course.:wink:

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    On Power Pros web site, or maybe it was in the directions, it advises to use Fiskars scissors. They are cheap kid scissors and they work really good. They are short, the ends are rounded, and they come in all colors, LOL.

They're not good for cutting most bait but they are " pocket friendly " so you can carry them around for cutting if you want.

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like a sharp knife. You could always use the cutter that comes with the braid on PP.