Trim/Tilt Check & Fill

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by 1stpalindrone, Mar 24, 2006.

1. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Alright guys, I looked around but found nothing on the basics of trim/tilt issues.

I need to fill up my fluid but am unsure of the process.. I've got a '95 Mariner 40hp with the trim attached to the outboard. What are the methods for checking and filling as my engine barley wants to lift and is starting to whine. :sad: Thanks for the help.
    Lucas

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I used to have a '96 Merc 60 that is probably the same engine as yours. I no longer have the service manual for it or I'd go look it up. Does your tilt pump have a yellow cap? I will offer a serious word of caution. I remember reading in my manual that you do not want to remove that cap if the engine is in the wrong position or it will fly off with severe force and spew fluid all over the place. I believe, but don't hold me to it, that you want to remove that cap when the engine was tilted all the way UP. I'm getting ready to go over the guy's house that bought that boat from me so I'll see if I can use his manual.
    I'll get back with you later if someone hasn't done so already.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Get the motor all the way tilted up and lock it up while you check the fluid level. Fill the resivoir then cycle the unit up and down 4 to 5 times.

Tilt up again and recheck. It'll probably be foamed up from the fluid mixing with air in the unit. Refill until the fluid is topped out, cap it off and again recycle a few times.

Wipe off the extended pistons and check for leaks. To do this, I would use a spray starting fluid as a cleaning solvent. It cuts the old oil and dries quickly, leaving no residue.

ANYTIME YOU WORK ON THE T&T UNIT KEEP THE MOTOR LOCKED/BLOCKED UP TO PREVENT IT FROM LEAKING DOWN.

4. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Thanks guys for the tips. Im gona try to tackle it this afternoon, I'll let yall know how it goes. Thanks again.
    Lucas

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well guys you did it again, I was needing to fill my reserve up on my tilt/trim and couldn't remember the sequence. Lo and behold here was your article. You get a Rep point for reading my mind.

6. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Well, I meant to have this done already but am just getting a roundtuit...

What are your preferences for fliud type/brand. Im gona stop by and get some on the way home from work today and fill her up. Just wanted some advise on what to use...

Thanks again for the info guys..

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I believe any automatic transmission fluid will work.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Dextron III is recommended if T&T fluid isn't available

9. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Tackled it yeaterday. I got some Marine Trim/Tilt fluid from Wal-mart for a few bucks.

When I lifted the engine all the way up and locked and checked the resivor it barley held any before spilling out. I cycled 3-4 time and refilled. It held maybe an once that time. It seems to be working better/smoother although it seems alittle slow, may just be me, dunno.

I have the model that has the piston on the left side and the resivor on the right with a lut/screw where the oil goes(I think). Is that the only place I need to open when filling. I don't see any other spot to fill. There is a screw that looks to be a vent on top of the unit but Im not sure. Any thoughts? Thanks again.;)

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Diagnosing over the net can be like trying to give you a haircut the same way.

You did the fill and check the right way.

You never said how you got the motor up. If you used the manual release, make sure you retighten it.

Leave the motor in the tilt up position and check it again in a few hrs. that'll let whatever air bubbles settle.