Trim question???

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dankitch, Mar 14, 2007.

1. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    When I take off in my boat I have to trim my motor at 3. When I get my speed built up I can trim to 4 which the boat handles alot better and drives alot bettter. If I take off with my trim set at 4 I get alot of ventilation. Is this normal? If I drive my boat around at 3.5 or lower it steers hard to one side. Where at 4 it steers straight. I have a 17 foot flatbottom boat with a 90 hp yamaha motor. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

2. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Well iam no expert but i own a 40 horse mercury and when i had that problem it was because there was a small fin shaped piece of metal on the bottom of the cavitation plate but above and behind the prop that was angled to far to one side. Once i had the shop put it back were it should i didnt have that problem. You can try that but i dont know exactly. Hope it helps though i will try to find out some more info and get back to you in a bit.:confused2:

3. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I turned it in the opposite direction it pulls in. It did not help.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yes you have to trim your motor in for starting off and then trim it out as you pick up speed. Basically you trim it out because you are up on plane the angle of your boat to the water changes and you want to have as little of the motor in the water as possible. As far as pulling.. Why don't you put the trim tab in the middle?

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bringing out of Archive.

The server put several threads into archive today and if you are not seeing your posts that you made here int the past couple of days check in your profile and pull up your past posts and it will bring them up , all you have to do is post in them and it will bring it out of archive to the front.

Thanks
    D/H